Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Aftermarket ecu installation questions. (7mgte)

BHGBTDT Domestic Engineer kemicalx's Avatar

Default Re: Aftermarket ecu installation questions. (7mgte)

yerp thats the next plan of action, just waiting on the funds (too many bills stacking up at present)

With all the earth straps replaced (and one added) with 4ga, all the ground contact points cleaned to bare metal, the EMS now giving solid sensor readings, including the CAS. I really can't see what else it could be, the ignition works and the EMS uses the same signal to run the injectors. i really can't see why they don't fire. The only thing that does rule out the injector drivers being faulty is the fact that i have had them half working at some stages, but definatly not they way they should.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

can you list off in order your ecu settings.

I.e
    Inj type
    trigger
    sync
    trigger edge
    sync edge
    etc etc

also your aux adj settings in order
    ie
    choke settings
    c/crank
    acc pump
    pump time
    etc etc

i may beable to help you.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

it seems strange that your coils will fire but no injection pulse

heres all the settings in the engine setup screen, all aux in/out stuff is turned off.

Update time,

It runs! And I’m kind of shitty at what the problem was.. Besides the original loom being grounded shoddily, once that was fixed the only problem was the diameter of the vacuum line I was using to the MAP sensor.

I cut it down to about 15cm's while the ecu was sitting in the engine bay and was going to show my mate how it half kicks over with Start Ya Basted. Except that, this time it kicked over, and stayed running Got it on camera too hehe

After several successful kick overs I figured it was time to re-wire the ecu back to the glove box, and with the vacuum line full length again it would half start then drop in revs quickly and stall. I got a hard nylon line and some brass fittings, installed that. And since then it's been all good Only trouble I’ve had so far was the fact it was running reeeeally rich and needed the fuel trimmed back about 10% also the water temp sensor was playing up yesterday so I removed the loom checked all the grounds, re-installed everything and it was fine again *shrugs*

But anyway, thanks for all the help you guys gave me! A few of you get a mention in my car thread, and I’ll try and re-distribute some rep to those who helped me out.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Wow, who would have guessed that one hey! Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end!
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Just a little more of an update on this subject,

After having the car running fine for a week or so, I tried to to hook up the standard tacho to one of the outputs on the EMS running a tacho signal, after this shit hit the fan. Once again erratic sensors readings, difficutly starting, etc etc etc... I did get it to run at one stage again but the sensor readings were still flakey and really pissing me off.

Annnyway, one of the major problems i found was the readings from the water temp and air temp sensors,

with the both the sensors unplugged:
    Engine temp =235c
    Air temp = 31c

with engine temp plugged in, and air temp disconnected:
    Engine temp = -10c
    Air temp = 31c (unchanged)

with air temp plugged in, and engine temp disconnected:
    Engine temp = -15c (This should remain 235c)
    Air temp = 19c

I completely isolated the air temp wiring from the sensor to the EMS plug and it was not shorting with anything. So i concluded that there was infact something dodgey in the EMS and sent it off to be inspected and tested.

Peter at EMS said that the readings were definatly wrong, but the only thing that he found wrong witht he unit itself was a large amount of dust and dirt over the CPU in it, after cleaning it up he said it was working fine again. So he sent it back, i wired it back in very slowly.. checking every sensor as i went, the loom untaped and the ems in the engine bay so i could isolate any wires. With power connected, all the sensor reading were spot on. And after retuning it (all my fuel and ignition maps had been wiped :S ) the car kicked over good as gold...

Sooo with that,

- I re-taped up the engine loom, installed it, checked the car for life - all good!
    - Removed all the remaining mz21 wiring, re-taped it, installed, checked the car for life - all good!
    -Moved the EMS back into the glove box, and neatened all the wiring up, checked the car for life, ALL GOOD!

The EMS works flawlessly, like you would expect any other standalone too. No signs of signal interference, accurate sensor reading.. And i think it is safe to say that the only real problems that have ever existed are the original looms gorunding and the damn CPU needed a blast from some contact cleaner

(oh and just for the record i did open up the EMS looong ago to see if everything was ok, but the CPU was on the back side of the PCB, and i didn't want to go unscrewing too much in it :S everything else looked ok)

But alas, i think all is good now! *touches wood*