Thread: 100kw 4AGE fuel consumption

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default 100kw 4AGE fuel consumption

Gday everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has this minor problem.

My Seca SX has the standard 100kw 4AGE. At normal operating temps, my car seems to chew very large amounts of fuel when I am driving hard, ie. revving out close to redline. After barely a minute of hard driving, my fuel gauge reads that about an 1/8th of a tank of fuel has been used. Driving normally though, I achieve quite a good average. I have no engine mods.

Is this normal, or am I running a bad tune?

Cheers

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 100kw 4AGE fuel consumption

the easiest possible way is to chuck it on a dyno.... not for a power pull, just for AFR vs rpm check.
    then you will know for sure.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

It should do 8 or 9 litres per hundred , normal with a bit of highway driving . hard driving about 13 l per hundred .
    this is just my experence tho.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

is it spitting black smoke out the rear? that will indicate that its not burning all the fuel, causing poor economy.

another thing to check is the coolant temp sensor, these can affect fuel economy.

like stu says, get the mixtures checked on a dyno to see if there is something suss going on
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

I am usually too busy looking at where I am driving notice any excess smoke, but I'll look out for it.

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPho3nix
    Gday everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has this minor problem.

My Seca SX has the standard 100kw 4AGE. At normal operating temps, my car seems to chew very large amounts of fuel when I am driving hard, ie. revving out close to redline. After barely a minute of hard driving, my fuel gauge reads that about an 1/8th of a tank of fuel has been used. Driving normally though, I achieve quite a good average. I have no engine mods.

Is this normal, or am I running a bad tune?

Cheers
    if you play in the max HP range it uses MAX fuel. yes they drink a fair bit of fuel in WOT mode, so does every engine.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

/\____________/\

What he said. To produce power, you burn fuel, simple as that. If you're using heaps of power, you'll burn heaps of fuel...

RM.

mmm... I didn't think I was making THAT much power anyways! Ah well, it's not that bad as long as I don't hammer it all day long.

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPho3nix
    mmm... I didn't think I was making THAT much power anyways! Ah well, it's not that bad as long as I don't hammer it all day long.
    lol dont worry i have give mine a bit of stick and got a shock when i filled it back up! thought someone at put a gze under the bonnet when i wasnt looking!lol

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by cambelt1
    It should do 8 or 9 litres per hundred , normal with a bit of highway driving . hard driving about 13 l per hundred .
    this is just my experence tho.
    Damm, thats a fair bit! I get like 6ks/100 highway driving and about 7 to 8 per hundred round the city

I can get about 420 to 460ks (shifting before 4.5 grand for 460) out of a tank but that can go as low as 320ks if it gets hammered hard all the time. Mine really uses alot more once u get it above 5 grand for any decent length of time.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

I went through a 1/8 of a tank in engineering doing full power runs/brakes up and down the test strip. Admittedly that was in my "somewhat modified" 4A, but still.... you shouldnt be using that much in a minute.
    Hell even the GZE only used 1/4 of a tank in 45mins of mucking around with it, and doing the brake tests so hard that the brakes were chugging out thick clouds of black smoke.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

it shouldnt use quite that much, but ripping on the car hard like track work will really use it up, 100kw is 100kw, regardless of what size engine is producing it.

Never thought of it that way... perhaps I am driving up inclines alot, and that gradually contributes to the fuel consumption.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss
    it shouldnt use quite that much, but ripping on the car hard like track work will really use it up, 100kw is 100kw, regardless of what size engine is producing it.
    Old 253's only pump out 100kw's and I bet they use a hell of alot petty more then a 4A to get it. Not so much the engine size, as the efficiency