Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: find my ignition coil

someone say 2t-ze? Automotive Encyclopaedia gerald1's Avatar

Default find my ignition coil

Hey guys, Im installing an aftermarket tacho gauge on my dash. I need to tap into my "significant rev counter" i think they call it on the rather vague instructions. Just wondering if anyone can tell me where my ignition coil is? Ive looked all over for it, as has Ace and we dont know where it is. to aid in the job i took a couple of snaps of my engine bay.

any help will be rewarded with +rep

if i should take closer photos then tell me. I just really need to know, Also my manual for the car is in the post :-D s

thanks all
    Gerald
    ta22 Green with cream vinyl roof, 2t/3t hybrid with a few go fast bits on + 5 speed.

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Default Re: find my ignition coil

you can't(i can't anyway) see it in those pics, just follow the lead from the centre of the dizzy cap to where ever it takes you. what you find on the other end is your coil. put the wire on the negative, and pick up a power supply for it from the ignition barrel in your steering column(on position).
    beer me!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I'd take a guess that it'd be on the firewall somewhere ... possibly that box in the top right of the second picture ? Can't really tell though
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

Quote Originally Posted by joecoolmk2
    you can't(i can't anyway) see it in those pics, just follow the lead from the centre of the dizzy cap to where ever it takes you. what you find on the other end is your coil. put the wire on the negative, and pick up a power supply for it from the ignition barrel in your steering column(on position).
    yeah, thats what the instructions said. unfortunatly when i follow the lead from the centre of the dizzy it leads to sorta nothing. it joins up with another fat tube thing and the two are taped together.

also on finding the power sources. i took the large plastic bit under the steering wheel etc.. off so i could get to the ignition barrel and i can't get to any of wires there cos its completely covered over with metal and what not. the only access to the wires i have is 3 inches down from there when you dont know where they came from and i dont want to go messing with them. Ace and i figured we should just attach the power wires to the fuse box.

Gerald
    ta22 Green with cream vinyl roof, 2t/3t hybrid with a few go fast bits on + 5 speed.

Equipped with Bowls Hat Backyard Mechanic Adam_Cressi's Avatar

All ae series looms have the rpm signal in the loom behind the cluster.. even if ur cluster doesnt have a tacho, the rpm signal wire will still be there.. so yeah good luck..

(So did i win .. do i get a reward )
    2JZ-GTE MX-83 Cressida
    Toymods Car Club Club Member # 185

it can't go to nothing, is this tube thing metal or do you mean a radiator hose or what?
    if it's not what you just looked at, then the lead must go past that and on to the coil somewhere.
    beer me!

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Yeah theres not really a coil plug on the dizzy cap, bloody FWD cars!!! arghh
    Quote Originally Posted by RWDboy
    I'd take a guess that it'd be on the firewall somewhere ... possibly that box in the top right of the second picture ?
    I think you're talking about the windcreen wiper motor
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Rolla
    All ae series looms have the rpm signal in the loom behind the cluster.. even if ur cluster doesnt have a tacho, the rpm signal wire will still be there.. so yeah good luck..
    (So did i win .. do i get a reward )
    Thats what i thought too (like TA22 celicas) but i wasn't looking forward to ripping out the whole dash!! We might have to do that and then use the wiring diagram to find out which wire it is (which will hopefully be in the workshop manual....)
    Is there anyway we can find the wire in the engine bay?
    Yeah you win for now, i'll hit ya with some rep.
    Ace
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Gerald get some closeup pics of the distributor cap and the wires underneath it, and by going to nowhere they actually go to the main loom....
    My TA22
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

i can help with that 2.. IF its a 4 plug loom (A,B,C,D ) its the D9 pin.. if its a 3 plug loom (A,B,C) its a A1 Pin..
    Last edited by Adam_Cressi; 02-05-2006 at 05:54 PM.
    2JZ-GTE MX-83 Cressida

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

I can only see four ignition leads coming from the dizzy... are you sure its not integrated into the dizzy?

Yeah its probably inside the dizzy..... I couldn't be bothered taking it off.....

Gerald have a look now, make you sure you label where each lead goes too.
    Ace
    My TA22

oh yeah i wasn't looking at the dizzy, but now i can see the rib in the middle going to the lump on the side of the dizzy cap, which would be your coil.
    beer me!

ok, i took a closer photo of the dizzy cap.

do guys recomend it take the cap off?

if so ill take it off and take a photo and see what you guys all think.

thanks everyone. also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ae92 with a 4a-f? i found one for the 4age but thats no use to me ><

Gerald

do u want the cluster wiring diagram ?
    2JZ-GTE MX-83 Cressida

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Rolla
    if that ^^^ means the rpm signal wire is in the cluster. then yeah id love the cluster wiring diagram

thanks a bunch adam rolla, your a champ
    gerald