Thread: Can Toyota ECU control transmission alone?

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Default Can Toyota ECU control transmission alone?

so for example I run A341 tranny behind some CARBY engine, and install everything depicted on ECT schematic for tranny donor - maf, coolant temperature, throttle sensor etc... Then power up the ECU.

Will it switch gears in "normal" pattern while engine part of the ECU does not see crank angle etc?
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Default Re: Can Toyota ECU control transmission alone?

from research i have done into my auto trans (A241e) as long as the sensors you've listed above, coolant temp, TPS, brake sensor, plus speed sensor. it would seem to me the auto ECU will operate the transmission as normal without the the engine ECU. it's the auto ECU that controls the soleniods, convertor lock-up etc. not the engine's ECU.

feral4mr2 - the problem is, after ~1990 all toyota ECU/ECT modules share the same body. i.e there's single ecu/ect block. And in some cases they act together, for example ECT part will close throttle and retard ignition upon shifting. So it's not clear if it works when engine part thinks that engine is off.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Maybe look into a MegaShift?
    It's the MegaSquirt relative that handles Transmissions instead of motors.

knightrous - I forgot to say that I consider quite modern transmissions, 5-speed or even better, with complicated shifting pattern. So the MS way has some great downsides:
    1 - no one ever tried it with anything fancier than say A340/341. So with say A650 type it's trial and error path.
    2 - factory ECU is perfectly tuned to control transmission in any situation
    3 - factory ECU is in general cheaper
    4 - it MAY turn out that fooling factory ECU is simpler than tuning aftermarket ECU

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

u might also need crank sensor rpm signal which is ne and ne-

...which will answer "no" to this thread's question

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

will an earlier model auto ecu do the job for you?

feral4mr2 - no, they are way too outdated. I need to run modern transmissions.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

If you want to run a A34x, if you get one out of a MK3 supra you can run a MA70 auto ecu which is still separate or use a Suprastick which is a auto ECU for most A34x's (I believe it still requires a cable operated kick down and not electronic).

There are other aftermarket auto ecu options I'm sure, just cant name any off the top of my head.

Mole - I'm targeting A650
    Created another thread to discuss aftermarket solutions. The only thing at reasonable price is MegaShift (well at price that keeps my idea reasonable), but time needed to up the whole system is beyound acceptable.

To sum it up - no strong pros and cons this far. So I'll try fooling stock ecu and see how far I can go this way. Expect some results by this fall.