Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA23/28 front end conversions. what have you done and what has worked the best??

Default RA23/28 front end conversions. what have you done and what has worked the best??

hey

would be good to gather info on what you have done for the front end conversions.

Seeing as there are a few different ways people have gone about it id like to know what has worked well for people and which way they have gone about it.

do you need to consider the engine your going to use?

also power steering or non power steering?

opions:

ke70 xmember with ke70, ra28, s13 lca's??
    what brakes and suspension did you use?

I'v seen some guys with ke70s using tyhe s13 lca and hubs which allows you to use the s13 coilovers and skyline brakes?

s13 xmember with complete s13 front end?
    do you have geometry issues?
    does the s13 setup make the track width wider and can you use a wider diff you accommodate?

any more?

hope to get some detailed feedback.

cheers guys
    Daily Driver: Holden Rodeo
    Under Construction: RA28

I see invisible people Backyard Mechanic WHITCHY's Avatar

Default Re: RA23/28 front end conversions. what have you done and what has worked the best??

What engine are you going to use? If you plan on going 4A then AE71 cross member has to be the easiest. Just cut the ends off, weld on some angle iron to strengthen the ends, drill holes and mount. Then you can use a KE70 steering column in place of the RA28 one (need to elongate the hole in the firewall for the steering column a little bit. You can just see the cut out in the pic...)

The AE71 crossmember was used for Anna's Celica (above), with the 4A engine it left heaps of room behind the engine.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/for...as-ra28-4.html

Bigworms build thread has pics of modifying the AE71 crossmember to fit and get the engine sitting back
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/for...agte-ra23.html

Joel's using the same crossmember / steering column in his RA28 also,
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/for...28-celica.html

Everything I've read about running the Nissan LCA and hubs for the S13 coilovers and Skyline brakes has resulted in excess bump steer issues. Might not be an issue if running the S13 crossmember.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13
    I always feared Harold the Sexual Abstinence Girraffe or whatever the fuck that thing was in primary school - any Large African animal with that much pent up sexual frustration is the last thing you wanna confine to a small darkened caravan full of kids.

Default Re: RA23/28 front end conversions. what have you done and what has worked the best??

thanks, annas is a great build!
    i am thinking about a few different engines.

im also interested in the combination of lower controll arms, hubs, brakes with ke70 crossmember
    some say to use the celica arms but some use the ke70 arms?

has anyone fit the s13 hubs with skyline brakes to a ke70/ae71 crossmember with a different lower controll arm??

I see invisible people Backyard Mechanic WHITCHY's Avatar

On Anna's we used the standard RA28 control arms, with Hilux brakes. Joel is using modifed (lengthened for more + camber) KE70 control arms, with mazda brakes. Using the AE86\AE71\KE70 crossmember moves the mounting point for the control arms out about 10mm giving you about 1deg neg camber using standard control arms. Sigma arms are another option, but also require a bit of modification to fit. Plenty of people running them on AEs and KEs.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13
    I always feared Harold the Sexual Abstinence Girraffe or whatever the fuck that thing was in primary school - any Large African animal with that much pent up sexual frustration is the last thing you wanna confine to a small darkened caravan full of kids.

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

I am in the planning of a conversion on a 28 with TA23 cross member to take a MX83 cressida power steering rack with shortened ends and 3sgte engine. The steering arms will be standard, the struts are standard with shortend shocks, super low King spring coils due to the lighter engine. The brakes will be MA61 vented slotted discs and Wilwood 4spot calipers on new caliper mounts. I am being very careful to maintain standard track to ensure we can run the 15x7 rims with 225/45/15 tyres without pumping the gaurds.

Why? - cause this are the parts I have laying around.

If you going to 5 stud, you have so many more options.

I used XT130 struts recently with new mounting points on the standard cross member and lost all the camber back to 30' (+1/2 degree). As you have worked out, going to coil overs with adjustable camber gives you more camber.

Good luck
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

sus-023 Backyard Mechanic Slidin23's Avatar

hi

i used an ra60/65 crossmember and rack with a ke70 collom. i have also used s13 coilovers and cut down and strenthened cressy lca's im running 14 inch wheels so i the biggest brakes i could use were ca18 silvia brakes. the geometry seams to look ok. but i have -4 degree camber.... which isnt such an issue as this car is for track..

i havent driven the car yet so im yet to see what its like. if the s13 sus is poo im going to run ra65 struts and brakes.

here is a pic of my set up. p.s i did all this before anyone was playing around with the ke70 stuff. looking back now i would have gona ke70 front end....

and a camber shot.

big brakes..... inside 14's lol

Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY View Post
    On Anna's we used the standard RA28 control arms, with Hilux brakes. Joel is using modifed (lengthened for more + camber) KE70 control arms, with mazda brakes. Using the AE86\AE71\KE70 crossmember moves the mounting point for the control arms out about 10mm giving you about 1deg neg camber using standard control arms. Sigma arms are another option, but also require a bit of modification to fit. Plenty of people running them on AEs and KEs.

Cheers.
    i reckon ill be going with the AE71 cross member as im think im going to go with a 4age 20v.

what hubs/discs do the mazda brakes fit onto? iv not seen this setup...

the problem im finding with the the hilux brake setup is finding the parts!!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jcmunga View Post

has anyone fit the s13 hubs with skyline brakes to a ke70/ae71 crossmember with a different lower controll arm??
    I am using r31 skyline LCA's with a whole s13 front end because they are 25mm shorter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    i would rather eat my own poo than use an auto,

Quote Originally Posted by Renfen View Post
    I am using r31 skyline LCA's with a whole s13 front end because they are 25mm shorter
    So you have power steerin to?
    Do you get any bump steer issues?
    Does the front sway bar bolt up?
    What shocks/spring are you using?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

im using ke70 xmember and R&P steering box, with koni yellow shocks (ra28) and hopper stopper 280mm kit. still gotta work out what LCAs im going to have to use..

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jcmunga View Post
    So you have power steerin to?
    Do you get any bump steer issues?
    Does the front sway bar bolt up?
    What shocks/spring are you using?
    Havnt driven it yet but I plan to have power steering, ae86 sway bar with s13 coilovers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    i would rather eat my own poo than use an auto,

Toyota for life REP! Backyard Mechanic TTV8RA23's Avatar

AE85 P/S rack is same width as steering box pivots on RA23 so can use this rack and X member for no geometry changes everything. Slam it add some roll centre adjustors. And get some shorter inserts. AE92 Corolla fronts. And weld on coil over sleeve kit and youll be laughing.
    Cheers
    Simon
    Kiwi back yard mechanic/fabricator/machinist/welder
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=tt1uzfe+RA23]

Forum Member

I am planing on doing the P/S rack conversion on my friends RA23. It has a 1GGZE in it. will the AE70/KE70 x member and column fit this application?

Can I use AE86 style LCA's?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

ke70 xmember with ae86 p/s is ur best bet imo

Junior Member Grease Monkey TRD-12A's Avatar

Hey man got the mazda brakes on my ta22 i know they are different but its such an easy conversion with everything easily available, AE86 struts with AJPS adapters and the series 4/5 rx7 calipers, Honda Civic Discs and ur all set