Thread: ra40 lsd

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default ra40 lsd

Looking for a LSD for my car (RA 40). I believe that an AE 86 one fits. Has anyone got one for sale, and is fitting easy/ do I need any more bits?

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

Default Re: ra40 lsd

the easiest way would be to get the whole centre, most JDM AE86's came with a 4.3 ratio, (28 code) vs the RA40 4.1 (29 code)

but you have to make sure its the 'zenki' AE86 diff you get, they made a 'big axle' and 'small axle' T series for them.. they have the same number of splines, but the big axle is slightly bigger... to the point that the small axle will fit into the big axle diff, and feel tight... but give it any power and you will know you had the wrong combo... there was not heaps and heaps of big axles made as it was only in the 86/87 Koukie production of the AE86.. and even then it was still a bit of a hit and miss, my Oct 86 build JDM AE86 Coupe, had a small axle 4.3 rear end in it.. may have been swapped though cos it had a TRD 2 way

just make sure it's a 'small axle' T seires.. there isn't really any strength difference despite what people might say..

T-18 (TE27) & AE86's use T seires LSD's but there should be an abundance of decent aftermarket units available.. 2 way mechanicle would be my only choice

Ok. I know what I need now. Cheers. Is it possible then, to bolt on the whole rear end from AE 86 and therefore gain rear discs aswell?

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

brackets are in different places, and the RA40 diff is slightly longer in total length.. if you were going to all the effort of a bracket swap just for disc brakes, i would look into something totally different and worth while.. perhaps R31 syline/pintara/VL diff? discs, and plenty of ratios available..

i use to run cut down RA40 axles in my AE86 when i used to break them drifting with a 4AGZE... about 4-5mm each side needed to come off the splines to fit into the AE86 housing..

i know some people use ST141 or RT142 there is a version of that corona that has a live axle and T series disc brake rear end..

Cheers again. Very useful advice. Gonna get on the fone next week and see what bits I can find. Thanks again.

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

I've just put a 't' series LSD into my TA23, it was completely rebuilt in a diff head and bolted straight in,
    Both axles needed to be shortened 6mm to suit the diff, although this may not be neccessary depending on the diff you choose...

This thread will provide more detail;

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...ries-diff.html

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I have a torsen LSD T series from a ST 215 caldina , not sure if it would fit .
    Dave

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic J-M kujala's Avatar

remeber that Ra40 GT modell got also 7.5" LSD rear end....
    - Celica TA-22 -74 2T-G Turbo
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06