Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiace upgrade?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Hiace upgrade?

Here are some pics of the speedo drive converting the electronic drive from the fwd to fit in the manual drive on the rwd gearbox. Had to drill the drive out of the rwd as it was a bit corroded in. Then just had to take the shaft out and shorten it put a slot in the other side, as it was only slotted on one side Then put another groove in for the retaining clip, all done in the garage with an angle grinder and a vice. I had to turn up a sleeve to take the fwd drive up to 25.0mm to fit the rwd box. So now I should have a working electronic speedo drive for the rwd as it uses the shaft from the rwd box i'm hoping it will read the correct speed

hopefully the pics will give a fairly good idea of the work done the one with the flange is the electronic one, also the small cog.
    The deed is all, The glory nought

Just pulled the gearbox out of the van this means that i can't use it for colecting any more parts.

On the plus side i have compared the bellhousings (see pics) 3y at the top this means that the starter motor will sit on the side away from the exhaust as it didn't fit under the standard exhaust, (does anyone know if the 3sge/gte exhaust manifold has the same spacing and stud arraingement?)The 3y bolts up exept for one hole (see pic).so some filing and maybe a bit of tig needed

I have desided to make a flywheel from scratch useing the 2c for dimensions,the billet of aluminium is on order so that will hopefully sort out my probs

Junior Member Grease Monkey johnny blade's Avatar

The exhaust manifold will fit (3S-GE/GTE gen 1 and 2 not 3) but not the inlet manifold.

Here's another pic of S vs Y bolt holes.
    http://tcs.teamymse.net/bildgalleri/...3av4passar.JPG
    1 MS55 - 3 TA47 - 1 MS123 - 1 YR21(SR21) - 1 RX80 - 1 ST165 - 1 JZS160

Thanks for the info Jonny, have the van blocked up at the minute,loosened off the bolts for the engine cross member,modified the bell housing bolt hole this am, Should have gotten it built up with weld first, but the local welder couldn't do it till monday at the earliest and i'm not that patient.

Just got myself a pair of hilux 4pot calipers to throw in the mix, ebay it's a wonderfull thing.
    I don't know what model they come off anyone know?

Should this thread be here or in members rides if i start on sideline projects?

Still here are the pics.

Hopefully get the engine dropped out of the van before work today( the wife and kids keep taking up my time)

Right then the engine is now out of the van. Just having lunch before work. I didn't have to drop the x-member, but my lifting set up wasn't the best but it worked.Heres the pics.

Now i can trial fit the 3s and sort out sump & inlet etc. hopefully some more tech stuff next time.
    Cheers all Nos

I had a bit of a look at the flywheels and clutches this am. The 3y fly' is only a 6 bolt so will not fit also the clutch backing plate bolt pcd is bigger than the 3s & 2c and is taller
    so a bit of a measure of fly's etc.

The 3s from face to the block is 34.0mm
    the 3y " 49.0mm
    2c " 47.5mm

the 3y clutch friction plate Diameter is the same as the 3s 225.0mm so the 3s back with the 3y friction are what i will be using.
    The difference in hight of the 2 backs turned out not to be a problem as a quick measure from the face to the fingers are bothe the same 43.0mm .

So all i have to do (lol) is take to work take some acurate measurements and make my billet fly.

starting to get the hang of photoshop for sizing the pics

I have been busy with work and family comitments so the vans been put on the back burner . But the billet of 6082 T6 has turned up 2 weeks later than promised but it's here so i can now get on with making the flywheel . Other than that it's been cleaning and pianting. Have booked some holiday from work so hoping to get a lot more done.

Hi all it's been a while ,have finally found some time to get on with the van,Here are some pics from sunday putting the engine in, sounds easy and if i had to do it again will be quicker and easyer next time. Once you try all the combinations that don't work your left with the one that does so dont' try:leavin the inlet manifold on or dropping the engine in from the top......Etc.Etc.

Still have to fab some engine mounts.
    Mod the sump (easy'r to see what needs doing now it's in place)
    mod the inlet/mod the bodie (not sure which till i have another look)
    wiring
    fuel lines / tank

Thinking of making a spacer for the inlet so that i can turn it upside down or may have to cut and weld like jonny

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

those calipers look like ln106 hilux calipers just got a pair for myself

i'm still trying to find a supplier of new dust and other seals at the mo motorfactors only want to do exchange or out right whole calipers. Hope you have more luck in Oz than here in the uk.Nos

Have been trying to align the engine to get it square and straight and level. The bottom face of the engine where the sump fits does'n sit level when the engine is upright in the engine bay, I'm presuming this is because the engine is tilted back in the carina. This is a pain in the arse as my van is not level where it's parked so trying to get every thing right is tricky with no real datum to work from.

as you can see in the pic the right side (veiwed from the rear) is higher than the left.

Here's a pic of my almost finished flywheel . Waiting for material to make the friction face at the minute supposed to be here this week

The main body is 6082 T6 Aluminiun
    Countersunk cap heads are HTS
    Dowles to make today at work probably S32760 St/St
    The friction face will be 1050 High carbon steel

The ring gear is the original Toyota which will be shrunk on then Dutch Keyed just to make sure that it doesn't spin.

It's been a while but here is the first engine mount, the second is nearly done.
    I made the plates to fit existing threaded bosses on the engine block where the plate sits parralel to the boss it is just drilled through and bolted, where the boss was at a different angle i drilled the plate 16mm at the same angle (well close then, filed) and made up some bosses bolted the plate to the engine put the bosses int the 16mm holes and bolted them in place then tacked them before taking out and welding.
    The plate is 1/4" for the engine and the plate that sits on the rubber part of the original mount, the box is 5mm with a slot drilled in it to accsess the nut that bolts the two parts together (see pics ).
    In hind sight it may have been better to mount the plates on different bosses and cut the mounting posts off of the cross member and re position them?

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

some great work there Nosforatu. good to see some ingenuity getting that 3s-fe into your hiace is that hiace fully fitted with benches and the lot for camping ?

not sure if you are familiar with the 3s-fe (and most 3s motors in general) but they sit on an incline backwards as the main oil galleries are on the inlet side. thus having the angle assists in the return of oil in the head. there have been instances where standing a 3s motor upright (no inlet side lean) has caused oil starvation issues, but for your purpose it might be ok, however if possible, maybe look into having the sump capacity increased just to err on the safe side.

Cheers