Thread: aristo A340 into mx83, q's

now with 7m powaz Automotive Encyclopaedia hosking1991's Avatar

Default aristo A340 into mx83, q's

hey all

thought i would come and ask the help of fellow toymodders, ive been researching but can find anything that is really a proper fix,

basically i have an aristo 2jzgte to go into my mx83 and am wondering what to do with the output shaft?

do i keep the standard aristo shaft with rubber dampener?

or can i use a supra one like this

if i was too use the one above is it as simple as unbolting the existing aristo 3 bolt one and putting the supra 2jzgte (above)
    back on and bolting back up?

thanks

cheers luke

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: aristo A340 into mx83, q's

If you search the supra forums there a post on how to swap the rear housings if u really want to do this. Id just leave it and get a one piece shaft made and its all sorted. No chance of flogging out a centre bearing and costing some coin down the line

thats also one thing im not sure of is how the aristo rubber dampner would fit in the cressy tunnel

anyone have any input?, not too keen on converting it to a slip yoke unless i 100% have to,

Pm guys with a jz box swap. Might av more luck or go and read up on members rides. I cant help you as I have.no idea

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

Yeh its a rear housing swap job, also the aristo box has adifferent valve body so unless your using the aristo 2jz ecu, you need a kickdown a340e valve body and kick down cable, which is easy any way, really you'd just want the box for the body of it

Junior Member Grease Monkey

just use the 4 bolt flange , put a slip yoke in the front half of tailshaft ( from landcruiser or hilux 4x4 ) and happy days

i done the same thing with my 2jz hiace . and 2jz chaser

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hosking1991 View Post
    do i keep the standard aristo shaft with rubber dampener?

or can i use a supra one like this

if i was too use the one above is it as simple as unbolting the existing aristo 3 bolt one and putting the supra 2jzgte (above)
    back on and bolting back up?

thanks

cheers luke
    You do have a number of options as you say...:-)

I personally do not know if the rubber donut will fit in the mx83 trans tunnel, so that is one thing you'll need to check :-) , if it does fit to me it seems like the easiest option to use it!

But my understanding is that the jza80 style part should just replace the jzs147 part, although again I haven't done this myself. I also have a memory that a some hilux? Have an equivalent part...

Regardless of if you go for the jza80 part or stick with the jzs147 donut you'll need to do something to allow for the small amount of movement from the gearbox and the lack of a slip yoke. One option is a slip section in the tailshafts as found on hiluxs etc, another option is a CV as found in commodore tailshafts (fyi in my jzz12 I kept the jzs147 donut and had a new tailshaft made with a commodore cv). :-)

I'd prbly talk to your tailshaft shop and see what they recommend :-)

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

`ooh didnt see a reply there many thanks wilbo !

this has been creating havoc in my head , one thought

why not just bolt the flange straght to the tail shaft ?

like so

yeah i know it wont work exactly like that it need some sort of metal spacer like so

say around 20-25mm thick and the centre bore machined to a precise size to match shaft

that way i can use the existing aristo tail shaft i already have get it lenghtend to suit and a cressida diff flange put on the end

thoughts ??

oh and sorry for my crappy ms paint picture

luke

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hosking1991 View Post
    `ooh didnt see a reply there many thanks wilbo !

this has been creating havoc in my head , one thought

why not just bolt the flange straght to the tail shaft ?
    If you can do that ("bolt straight to the flange"), then why not run it like it is run from factory with the rubber spacer?

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

The rubber is a vibration dampener. Just use it and when it goes to shit change it. If it has no cracks or isnt flogged out leave it.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Or just get a tailshaft place to make one to suit the supra flange with a slip joint will cost about 500 max

Engine and box are fitted and the gay rubber runs way too close to the shifter linkage

Trying to chase a supra tt 4 bolt flange rang Toyota and there is nill stock in aus 300+$ and a 5 week wait!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

You must have some sort of joint at the output of the gearbox, or you will put too much load on the output shaft of the gerbox and damage it. The rubber donut absorbs vibration and allows a small amount of flex. You best bet is buy the right output shaft flange to suit (like jza supra or similar) and have a driveshaft shop make up a driveshaft. If there is a driveline services or other good shop close they may even be able to get you an aftermarket flange to suit your gearbox, or even get one the right shaft spline and length and machine the outside down to suit your sealing area. You hav a sample of the sealing design in the old output flange so it wouldn't be that hard to measure up and cross referance with others at a good drivline shop. If you go this way you will need some sort of slip joint in the set-up, wether that is a cv joint or a slip joint is up to you and the driveshaft manufacturer though (i would recomend a slip joint though, they are simple and uni joints are simpler too)
    TA23 Celica Convertable *Needs Paint*
    HZJ80 Landcruiser - For driving over Hondas

Ok so i have my tailshaft all in and thought i would update what route i have taken!

Driftmotion over in the states make a billit aluminium adapter (just over 1" in thickness) which goes inplace of the rubber donut with a 4 bolt 1350 flange,

i went to sydney driveline in greenacre and the bloke there was very knowledgeable and was able to match a flange to suit the adapter and the diff flange (although the diff flanges are very generic)

and this is what i have now

The tailshaft has a built in slip yoke already too,

lucky i found the adapter locally from a tc.net owner who decided to go another route

also the aristo tranny mount fitted the cressida x member with slight elongation to the bolt holes

cheers luke