Thread: how to find out if Cam angle sensor is faulty

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default how to find out if Cam angle sensor is faulty

Hey everyone,

i think i've narrowed my gze not starting to a faulty cam angle sensor, but im new to this stuff and im really not 100% sure if thats what it is.

Probing the wires that connect to the CAS, things such as fuel system primed and i heard relays tick, however with a plug in the lead and turning the motor over and earthing the plug out there seems to be no spark. So if the relays are ticking when a circuit is created and there is voltage registered on the same wires but the CAS fails to provide a spark then could it be a faulty CAS ?

My car also has a Wolf 3d v3, is there any way i can check the wolf for incorrect operation ? Is there any isolation test i can perform to make it clearer what the problem is... Like i said sorry im new to this so if what i am saying isnt really making sense i appoligise, im trying to get my own head around it...

Can anyone advice anything i can do, id really like my car to be running !

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: how to find out if Cam angle sensor is faulty

relays are low-speed switches for providing power to things - the CAS does not turn relays on & off.

The CAS provides timing and cam-position data for the ECU - best way to check whether it's working is to attach laptop/handset to the ECU, run the appropriate tuning software, remove the spark plugs and pull the fuel pump and coil power fuses, then crank/start the engine. The ECU should indicate revs at ~300rpm and be in 'cranking' mode.

If there's no signal, then first check that the CAS is wired up to the ECU (as per the wolf wiring manual) and the wires in question actually connect to the ECU (e.g. are not broken somewhere between the sensor and ECU, test with multimeter). If the CAS is wired up correct but not providing a signal then replace it. If the wiring is suspect, then replace it.

If the ECU is getting a signal but not firing the coil packs, then you need to investigate the wiring from ECU to ingitor(s) and then coils, and also, whether the ECU is configured right.

Before doing any of the above, i'd strongly urge you to get the wiring and software manual for your ECU and read it over and over until it makes sense. Then read it again. After that, go troubleshooting.

Also, get a laptop/handset for your ECU - unless you can see what the ECU is doing, you're flying blind.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

cheers chuck, ive got a handset, but ive got a mac so i doubt software will run. I will try from what you've listed above

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

if it does infact have PC software (might be handset interface only), then you might be able to run it inside a VM of some flavour. Would need USB to serial interface to hook it to the ECU.

I have the same issues being Mac/linux only now.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

alright so just trying to work out what i can. I do have a hand controller, but not laptop. now im a bit unsure where the fuel pump fuel and coil pack fuses are, would they part of the cars stock fuse setup in the fuse box or would they be part of the wiring job for hte wolf. Is there any way on the wolf it will indicate when those fuses are pulled ? (will it indicate 000 in a certain section or will the fuel pump not prime?)

When you say its in cranking mode, what will be the signal im looking out for ? How will i know if there is a signal or not. Again sorry if its obvious and i'm being a fool i'm just new to this thats all.