Thread: ma61 struts with hilux/volvo brakes? help, info

binge toymoder Grease Monkey

Default ma61 struts with hilux/volvo brakes? help, info

ok i have a ke 70 with a 20v in it, i need beter brakes and fnt susp setup so i got some ma61 struts, i have been told that these have a much more common calliper mount hole spacing and that you can use hilux 4 pot callipers and volvo or magna discs or something... if anyone can tell me how they did it and what parts from what model car i will need that would be greatly appreciated,
    cheers tim

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: ma61 struts with hilux/volvo brakes? help, info

MA61 brake upgrades have been done to death on this forum. If you have MA61 struts the world is your oyster - all you need to do is SEARCH and you'll find scads of info.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

especially worthwhile would be to search for ma61 and skyline (r32/z32/r33) calipers and discs
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

Indeed the skyline/300zx brake upgrade is the easiest and quite possibly the cheapest.

And in a 900kg corolla, you will stop so fast that you will need a G suit...

Actually now you mention it, one of those big brake upgrades seems like massive overkill for a 900kg car with a NA 1.6L engine. Methinks the MA61 brakes with good pads and rotors will be more than adequate, not to mention a whole lot cheaper.

binge toymoder Grease Monkey

thanks heaps for the feedback guys... its gonna be a pretty wild na 20v, do u really think ma61 brakes will sufice... the only reason i am upgrading is because of cooling issues... i lose brakes after on hard stop with my origional ones but they do pull up pretty firm when there not too hot, maybe just the ma61 ones with slotted rotors and decent pads?
    also guys if someone could help with where i might source a coilover conversion kit for these struts or a similar alternative?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Actually now you mention it, one of those big brake upgrades seems like massive overkill for a 900kg car with a NA 1.6L engine. Methinks the MA61 brakes with good pads and rotors will be more than adequate, not to mention a whole lot cheaper.
    Correct and one of my mates (with an AE86) already has dibs on my stockers and struts when I do my upgrade. Its a cheap and adequate upgrade for them. Hell they aren't too bad on the supra, they stop quick enough its just hey fade rather quickly, with a 400kg lighter car though they'd be plenty.
    If in doubt power out

Quote Originally Posted by ae71 kid
    the only reason i am upgrading is because of cooling issues... i lose brakes after on hard stop with my origional ones but they do pull up pretty firm when there not too hot,
    Your original brakes have solid rotors, MA61's have ventilated rotors, and that's what will make all the difference. With good pads you'd be struggling to acheive brake fade with a setup like this, even with a "wild" 4A.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

yeh as said above i've got xa6x calipers and discs on the front and it pulls up nicely decent set of pads and you'll be set