Thread: 2jzgte - fairly rich at idle, thinking fuel pressure a little high

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 2jzgte - fairly rich at idle, thinking fuel pressure a little high

My 2jzgte is running very rich at idle, so its not running the smoothest, not that that worries me too much. This is in the falcon. I have the fuel cell in the boot, VL turbo external fuel pump. 2j is running its stock fuel system and stock twins. When i found it running rich constantly, i tried running it a 6v like others had suggested and yes this got rid of the rich idle problem but then i ran out of fuel at about 3000 rpm. Yes im aware the aristos ran a fuel pump control computer which DOES NOT come with a half cut. So i'm guessing that that im running way too much base fuel pressure. Another thing i tried just now was turning the fuel pump off, and instantly it ran smooth at idle, so i'd say that confirms the too much fuel pressure idea.
    So heres an idea i had. I have a malpassi 1.7:1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator, was thinking of chucking that in and say setting it to 35 PSI base pressure or so ( at idle ), and see if that fixes it.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: 2jzgte - fairly rich at idle, thinking fuel pressure a little high

could the problem be the return line is not sufficient to flow the unused fuel?

you don't really want a rising rate FPR in there, if anything just chuck a SARD unit in there if you need bigger
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

i think the falcon has a 8mm return line, would think that would be sufficient? Well once i have got it up and running it probably wont be long and i will jam a single on it, so i guess the malpassi would be handy then.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I don't understand why you are running a rising rate FPR with the stock twins? Are you running stock engine ecu?

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

I dont see why it should be a problem with the pump running at full speed. Im using a 255LPH walbro pump and mine runs fine, i dont have a FPC so it runs at full speed constantly.

Only reason i can see that there would be too much pressure/flow would be if the stock reg is faulty or jammed shut. A lot of people have used aftermarket regulators with various degrees of success.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Yes i'm running standard everything, stock computer and all. The reason i suggested a malpassi is coz i already have one in my shed. If it will work i won't go and buy another one. Maybe my stock fuel pressure reg is stuffed, that is something i will have to look in to.