Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota D4-S Twin Fuel Injection

****** 1st year Apprentice

Post Toyota D4-S Twin Fuel Injection

Hey Guys,

Havent posted here for a while but hope you can help me out. While I know it's mostly old school Toyota tech here, i'm sure we all still read up on the latest technology being put out by Toyota.

I need some information about Toyota's D4-S Twin Fuel Injection engines. I'm currently undertaking research in this field and i require a test engine that is capable of running both direct injection an traditional port fuel injection at the same time. Does anyone know if either 2GR-FSE, 3RG-FSE, or 4GR-FSE engines were used in locally available cars. If so, how can i get my hands on one of these engines. If not, can you suggest any other engines that may meet my requirements (displacement, engine format, and manufacturer doesn't matter)

Cheers for your help

Michael

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Toyota D4-S Twin Fuel Injection

Correct me if im wrong but im sure the Lexus IS250 has the 4 GR FSE in it , it would be $$$ tho
    Dave

Thanks Dave,

Does anyone know where i might be able to source one of these engines in Australia. Preferably Sydney.

Michael

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

I have seen a 1jzfse on e-bay a while ago. I think an importer brought it in by mistake.
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

IF you really want to get one of these engines your best bet will be via an importer off Yahoo.jp - it is unlikely that any wreckers here will have them and if they do they will want ridiculous money for them

Only other option would be to keep an eye on local car aution houses for written off IS250/350s - i think these were the only cars sold here that had the engines you want?

Cheers for your help mate. I'm having a look into importing one now. Looks like it's going to be the cheapest option. I'm hoping one of our local suppliers will be able to supply an engine at a reasonable price.

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

As a (non toyota) alternative, i'd suggest looking into a Z22YH - 2.2L Direct Injection motor fitted to Holden AH Astra. The only reason I suggest this, as while it does not utilize dual injection methods, I have an inkling that you may be able to retrofit a ZC Vectra Z22SE inlet manifold which uses port injection with little worry, this making your own Twin Fuel Injection engine. Of course, you'd have to rig up an ECU capable of handling direct injection duties, which would without a doubt, be a worry.

The upside to this suggestion is the money you'll save.

Whether it's worth a look in is up to you. I'm -pretty- sure you'll be able to fit the port injection manifold to the DI engine, the manifolds are identical apart from one not having injector bosses. My only concern would be the port injection gear fouling on the direct injection gear.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Oh Wow. That sounds like a great idea. Getting the engine running wont be an issue. I have a motec M800 waiting to go on what ever motor is selected. You seem to know a bit about the holden engines. Do you work for them? Would you have any idea on pricing of the above engine?

Very helpful

Cheers

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chubbylover53 View Post
    Oh Wow. That sounds like a great idea. Getting the engine running wont be an issue. I have a motec M800 waiting to go on what ever motor is selected. You seem to know a bit about the holden engines. Do you work for them? Would you have any idea on pricing of the above engine?

Very helpful

Cheers
    Did most of my apprenticeship at holden. At SAAB now, so keeping it in the family I suppose, but if you do go down this route and need any info, feel free to drop me a PM. As for the pricing of the engine and parts, the best thing you could do would be to call a few holden wreckers in your state and see if they have a 2.2L direct injection astra motor.

All of that said, you could really just grab any direct injection motor and make up a new inlet manifold with port injection, although I suppose it all depends what you're out to prove.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

a few years ago there was a rumor that the Yamaha MotoGP motors were running both direct and port injection, as each had it's own benifits at different RPM's. might be worth having a poke around for info on that motor?
    SHEPPO..

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

The IS250 would disappoint you with lots of wires, and most of all its security system. The same engine comes with MarkX, which does not have one afaik. Most likely you would end up looking for complete halfcut.

IS250' s security system is quite tricky containing 3 different things that must be from same car, otherwise it's your additional headache how to make them all friends.

edit: the mark x has immobilizer unit, too
    Last edited by George; 23-10-2011 at 03:45 AM.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

I have also seen an older rav4 with direct injection petrol motor which may be a cheaper option.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The IS250 would disappoint you with lots of wires, and most of all its security system. The same engine comes with MarkX, which does not have one afaik. Most likely you would end up looking for complete halfcut.

IS250' s security system is quite tricky containing 3 different things that must be from same car, otherwise it's your additional headache how to make them all friends.

edit: the mark x has immobilizer unit, too

All of which is not really an issue if he is putting a Motec on it as far as I can see...

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

would an M800 have the timing resolution/accuracy to do direct injection? or is it just the DI diesels that do funky things with multiple and varied squirts during compression and ignition.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Bit of bump, I'm looking at a 2GR-FE swap. Wondering if there are people with feedback on an 2GR-FSE swap here and ran into any dramas with the direct injection/etc/etc.