Thread: Ta22 headlight wiring

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Ta22 headlight wiring

Hi guys,

having some issues with the headlight wiring in my project TA22. It looks like one of the previous owners has over estimated their wiring capabilities - there's cut wires galore and a birds nest of insanity underneath the dash. I've managed to fix/remove most of it, however the headlight wiring is giving me headaches at the moment which I'm hoping the ever helpful toymods team may be able to help out with.

I've pulled the dash and headlight switch out and have the following on the headlight switch pin:
    fuse box (tail) --> switch (green)
    Switch--> tail lights (green - goes straight to earth so need to do some fault finding)
    White/black -- earth as expected
    Red/Black-- goes to earth
    Red/white--> to indicator stalk

A couple of questions:
    1) should the Red/black be going to earth?
    2) is the only power in meant to be from the green from the tail lights fuse?
    3) are the headlights meant to be positively switched or switched to earth?

Thanks in advance,
    Doug
    Currently nursing a nice old celica back to good health

I love aardvarks Backyard Mechanic Invid's Avatar

Default Re: Ta22 headlight wiring

Based on this: http://khi-santh.canberracelica.org/files/ta22.pdf and my limited understanding of auto electrics...

The only earth wire should be the White/black. All other wires should provide power to lights or to the indicator stalk.
    1972 TA22 2TGZEU - Now with Z Powaaah! (Go, go Gadget Torque!)
    See pics on http://sebastianbecher.com.au - In the automotive photo gallery
    Proud supporter of the http://www.canberracelica.org

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Ta22 headlight wiring

Ok, so I finally sorted this out. Got cranky the other day and ripped out the entire aftermarket headlights that the previous owner had tried to install and wired it all back to factory. I found a relay he had wired in which was switching 12v directly to earth and realised why it kept killing fuses hahaha.

Just incase someone in the future is having a similar problem: The green which was being measured as going to earth was ok - it goes to the interior light which obviously has stuff all resistance through the globe so was measuring as going straight to earth - flicked the inside light to off and no more short... I think the same was happening with the red/black, which I think is for the dash lights - pulled out the dash and all the lights and no longer measured to earth

I was using the wiring diagram in the back of the manual, but it was dirty and ratty - the one Invid linked to above is very handy (thanks for that)

The red/white which I had incorrectly labeled as going to the indicator stalk actually goes to earth when the switch is pulled out and heads into the engine bay to provide switching for the headlight relay, which in turn provides power to the headlights. The headlights are then negatively switched via the red/yellow (highbeams) or red/green (lows) wires via the indicator stalk.

Anyways, pretty much all of this is in details in the wiring diagram linked to above, but I thought I would put this up just incase maybe this will help someone sometime (I know it always shits me to tears when I find a thread where somebody has the same problem but the end answer isn't written down...)

Cheers,
    Doug
    Currently nursing a nice old celica back to good health