Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEAMS and factory ECUs - questions? update: 122Kw at wheels

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default BEAMS and factory ECUs - questions? update: 122Kw at wheels

an update...

BEAMs in, Adaptronic fitted and tuned by Anthony from Kaizen Garage - the results

the results: 122kw at 7500rpm (at wheels)

Is going out for practice/sprint session on Wednesday

hi folks,

I'm helping a mate who's stuffing a BEAMs (twin vvti) into an RA40.

From what I can gather it's a blacktop and came out of an auto frontcut (seller of it has disposed of it, was bought to repair panels on a lexus). It has the engine loom but unfortunately no ECU.

A - Will a factory auto ECU run this engine without the dash cluster and/or autobox present?

B - Will a factory manual ECU run this without a dash cluster?

C- what model the halfcut would have been (I'm guessing SXE10 aka RS200) and were the major variations during the era that model was in production?

D - if A or B is yes, does the ECU cracks the shits if the immobiliser is not present or if you try to pull codes out of the OBDII port without the cluster present?

E - MAP sensor'd or MAF?

F - any shortcuts/suggestions for finding an engine wiring diagram?

He's considering an Adaptronic ECU in the long run (e.g. 1-2yrs) but for the short term would like to get the motor in and running.

Thanks and tia,
    Charles.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 17-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Default Re: BEAMS and factory ECUs - questions?

A & B = Don't know.
    C - Yes the SXE_10 and I don't think there was a lot of variation in them.
    D - Don't know.
    E - MAF, in that huge airbox. The sensor is particularly sensitive to turbulence in the airflow so make sure if you aren't using the factory airbox to use some kind of airflow straightener before the MAF. (I used drinking straws, really!)
    F - The Lexus IS200 manual is pretty close. There might be some English RS200 manuals, I'm not sure.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Thanks guys - answers, pointers and advice most appreciated.

Bill: I was thinking about your drinking-straw anti-turbulence device - wasn 't sure whether all the BEAMS motors of this era were MAF sensor'd. I guess they are.

Jonathon: thanks for the link - has much more than I could find. So far, all I've got is an ECU pin-out diagram.

I'll host them somewhere mostly-permanent and add a link to them in the wiring diagrams thread.

some already permanently here. join the forums for more answers i guess, i think most on there are redtop owners, but should be able to help with blacktop stuff.

having said tat, if glenn pops his head in here he should be able to answer all Q's

Beams Owners Group

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

A - Unsure about the autobox, you can probably just trick it into neutral
    B - I have a manual Beams and it runs fine without the cluster.
    C - SXE10 - there were a couple of different variations - 99-01, 01-03, 03-05. Not sure on the exact differences, however Toyodiy is listing a different ECU part number for each of those timespans.
    D - My beams did not require any key or dash cluster to run - in fact it didn't even have an immobiliser circuit built in (mine is 99-01 variety) I can't remember if I've used the OBD port though.
    E - All of them MAF - The Apexi Power Intake for the SXE10 has posititive reviews on the Altezza Club forums as an alternative for the stock airbox. I'm running one and my motor runs nicely on the factory ECU.
    F - The links provided in this thread are pretty much all I used to get mine running. I also used some of the wiring diagrams here - http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html which are for the IS200/300, however most of it (barring ECU) was the same or very similar.

It was relatively simple to get the motor running - just get power and ground to the appropriate points on the ECU and you're set. Everything the motor needs run through the single loom (except oxygen sensor wires which go through the floorpan and back to the ECU under the passenger guard - wont need this initially though - though again if it has auto pipes I believe the sensors are in different locations)

No more complex than any other EFI motor really, easier in some regards as all wiring goes through a single location - no seperate coils or other electrical stuff mounted elsewhere on the chassis to worry about.

I think it was Kaizen garage that offered a pre-made loom + adaptronic plug and play package for the Beams. It might save a heap of time and money if you do this in the first place, considering he doesn't have an ECU to begin with.
    1976 RA23 Celica - 3SGE Blacktop Beams Powered!
    1994 KZN130 Surf - Daily 3ltr Turbo Diesel Goodness!

Thanks for all the responses folks, it's looking more likely that it'll go down the Adaptronic route as we're lacking a MAF and the loom is for an auto. Once you factor in the costs of obtaining an ECU, O2 sensors and MAF and regulated fuel pump, it gets close to or equal to cost of A/M ECU and eBay throttle body.

fwiw, blacktop into RA40 (with SA63 cross member, Triton mounts & RT142 brake M/C and booster):

bonnet is missing most of bracing underneath so it closes without belting the motor. Gearbox has remote shifter and the rear mount & cross member rotated to shift box as far back as possible. Clears the rack with heaps of room (so no need to grind bits off the rear of hte alloy sump) tho the sway bar is quite close and alternatives are being explored.

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Nice work! I used an AE86 swaybar in my 23, not sure if it would work in the xA40 but could be worth a look.
    1976 RA23 Celica - 3SGE Blacktop Beams Powered!
    1994 KZN130 Surf - Daily 3ltr Turbo Diesel Goodness!

motor is sitting up 2 high use 2s rubber mounts and it should sit about 25mm lower

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Mate's don't help mates work on RA40s
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Glenn: Graham does have some 2S mounts if the height is too much but had found these mounts to ensure clearnace of the rear of the alloy upper-sump (it's about 15mm off the steering rack at the moment).

He was going to do some work on the mounts (slotting holes) to see whether any further rearwards movement could be gained - that would then deal with the sway bar proximity.

For the short term, Graham wants to get the car on the road & track (it's primary purpose is sprints & regularity trails at Lakeside, Morgan Park & QR) with equipment and part at hand but I suspect there will be further development (mounts, diff, brakes, weight) as power/torque will have improved so much over the current motor.

btw, I think you've met Graham over the phone?

Justen: lolz, well there's a lot of stuf in this car that's not RA40 derived (front suspension, brakes, gearbox, motor,...). Does that make it any better?

In any case, this is a coupe not hatchback, plus, don't forget that Bates will be driving one of these next year.

needs to cut the sump where it sway s down on the angle ,my middle of my sump is 5mm off the xmember and i cut the angle back flush to the pan

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Yeah the coupes can be cool.....with a lot of work A BEAMs certainly helps!!
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Default Re: BEAMS and factory ECUs - questions? update: 122Kw at wheels

see first post for update