Thread: Bunch of Gen 1 and 2 3SG bits - what to do?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Rhyno's Avatar

Default Bunch of Gen 1 and 2 3SG bits - what to do?

Hi guys,

Had a casting break on me yesterday afternoon as I was reinstalling my injectors. Took a big chunk out from between injectors 2 and 3, where the rocker cover presses up. I now know from experience how weak the castings are Such is life, should have used a mini torque wrech instead of a 4 inch rachet. I have used some quick metal for the short term but realise this is only a temp fix...

Recently I brought a Gen 2 3sgte out of an MR2. It has had a waterpump fail and consequently did a head gasket. I was going to rebuild this motor in the future when I felt the need for an upgrade, but it looks as if I may need it sooner rather than later.

The Gen 1 that is in the car currently only done less than 50,000 kms and is running very strong, and currently turns the tyres very hard for N/A 4 cyl that is stock internally. I have no real need to turbocharge the car at this point of time, and would like to keep the car N/A for now.

What I am looking at doing is rebuilding the Gen 2 GTE head and bolting it to the Gen 1 GE block. I know the Gen 1 doesn't have oil squirters for cooling the pistons but as this bottom end is going strong I figured I may as well keep it for the time being.

I plan to have the head rebuilt with double heavy duty valve springs, and possible may go for a slightly bigger cam with adjustabile gears - price pending...

Anyone got anything to say about using a T head in an N/A set up? As far as the interwebs say, all the parts should bolt on if I have the relervant timing gear?

Any input from those in the know would be appreciated. Oh and f you have some parts you want to get rid of that may suit chime in

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Bunch of Gen 1 and 2 3SG bits - what to do?

gen2 3sgte head will fit the gen1 block and manifolds fine. both have TVIS manifolds and same exh stud pattern etc.

you'll prob have to use the gen2 3sgte timing belt and tensioner

the lack of oil squirters is only an issue if your going to add a turbo to the equation.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Rhyno's Avatar

Default Re: Bunch of Gen 1 and 2 3SG bits - what to do?

Thanks Jonathan Yee,

I figured this would be the case, looking at the two they are near identical on the outside.

Time to break out the spanners and the timing light

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jonathan yee again."