Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster View Post
avoid tapping into the high-current side of the hi-beam relay. If the fuse in the supply to the factory highbeam goes, then you have no trigger for your spotlights.

Find the trigger wire going to the high-beam relay and tap into that, run that wire to your cabin switch (for the spotlights), then from there to another relay (with it's own fused high-current supply) that powers the spots.
What high beam relay? None exists in this car.
There is a relay for the common pole, which is +12V permanent (& I'm guessing switched with the ignition because the headlights go out with the ignition off), then the output goes to a pair of fuses, then to the common pole of the headlight globes.
The other side(s) of the headlights go to the headlight/indicator/high beam stalk, which then goes to ground.

I do seem to have found a wire off the stalk which is +12V only when the high beam is on. I'll need to test it under the various positions to see if this is correct.
And I'm planning on running a fused & switched wire straight off the battery as a back up for the spotlights anyways. Bit easier when the battery is in the back seat.

Damn, there's a long route for the wiring in this car. Suppose that's what happens when you start something off as left hand drive & then convert it for RHD markets. Most stuff runs across the back of the firewall from the left side, then back across the dashboard.