Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1GEU > MTEU + Auto > Manual in GA61 swap

Long time lurker 1st year Apprentice

Default 1GEU > MTEU + Auto > Manual in GA61 swap

Long time reader, first time poster. Hello all.

I acquired an MA63 (2L MTEU non-intercooled turbo) a while back, but it has pretty bad chassis damage.

I may be able to buy a pretty rough GA61 factory manual. The 1GEU is crap and burns oil, so ill get rid of it. Since i already have the METU, i want to put it into the GA61.

So far, what i have gathered, is that i need to swap the crossmember over (anyone see any problems with that?), find a W>M bell housing and a clutch setup (i have no idea about what clutch plate and pressure plate etc i need), and do the wiring. Oh, and find a flywheel. Its not easy to find M parts here, so are there any other flywheels that bolt right on?

Im guessing the wiring wont just all plug in (plug my ecu into the G loom, and plug the loom into the engine and be away cruising)? what will need to be changed? i have a whole donor car to play with, but would prefer to change as little wiring as possible.

Anything i have missed? any help is really appreciated. i dont want to buy this GA61 and find that the mteu swap just wont happen.

Thanks.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: 1GEU > MTEU + Auto > Manual in GA61 swap

You'll probably find a cross-member swap isn't required, you'll just need the mounts. As far as we can tell we haven't seen any differences in them.

I'd be purchasing an entire clutch/flywheel/gearbox setup from someone with an MA61, surely someone must have one.

You may get lucky with the loom, I've never checked to be honest. That said, with a setup as simple as the MTEU, you're unlikely to come across too many difficulties.

Don't forget you'll need a manual tailshaft too, as it's longer.

As for worrying about it, it's a definite that it will go in, so with a bit of perseverence, it will happen.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

That said, my personal preference (no bias ) would be to get another engine, a 1GGTE manual front cut would give you almost everything you need to bolt it into the GA61.

Yeah, i would go for a 1GGTE if i didnt already have the MTEU sitting here. Its just a nice little engine to play with. Its a turbo, but doesnt have lethal amounts of power or anything.

The GA61 already has a gearbox in it. pretty sure its a W series 5 speed, and i would be bolting the mteu up to that.

Also, manual M series cars are here in NZ, but the manual conversion parts are quite expensive from what i have seen, compared to G series parts. seems everyone wants the parts, but cant get them.

Seriously, I wouldn't bother with the MTEU, sell it. It doesnt make any more power than a 1GGE and is getting old. Just sell the MTEU to fund something better

Get a 1GGTE engine/loom/ECU and bolt it up to your 1GEU sump, use the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate from the 1GEU and get the clutch upgraded. Much better result, and a lot less chasing around.

i have a m series bellhousing here that would suit you if needed. probably ask $100 + shipping for it.

shipping via AustPost economy air would be around $75

cheers
    ed
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Quote Originally Posted by ed_ma61
    i have a m series bellhousing here that would suit you if needed. probably ask $100 + shipping for it.

shipping via AustPost economy air would be around $75

cheers
    ed
    Hi. ill definately keep that in mind, but i'd try to find something local first if i was to go ahead with this.

I would appreciate it if i could get some more help with my original plan, because i am not going to be buying another engine. its either use the mteu or nothing. The wiring is the main thing for me... anyone have a clue what needs to be done with it?

Thanks.

Fine fine fine.

What you first need to do is check the loom plugs where it plugs into the factory dash, and the other ones in the engine bay. If these are the same, there is a *possibility* it could be a plug-in endeavour. Failing that, you can either swap EVERYTHING over from the MA63, or just splice in the wires. There isn't that much external that runs to an engine loom, basically constant 12V, ignition 12V and earths.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

The wiring on an old M engine will be ludicrously simple, I doubt you'll have any problems unless you're a total dumbarse. A lot of older Toyota ECU's have the pins labelled on the PCB which makes the job even easier. My 5M-E ECU did anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    The wiring on an old M engine will be ludicrously simple, I doubt you'll have any problems unless you're a total dumbarse. A lot of older Toyota ECU's have the pins labelled on the PCB which makes the job even easier. My 5M-E ECU did anyway.
    lol, im not a total dumbarse, but i havent got experience in wiring an engine. shouldnt be too hard in theory. Im waiting to see about buying the other celica. Sounds like a project i might just be able to handle.

The MTEU may not be a very powerful engine, but its enough for me (i havent driven much yet, but im used to 4age and RB20DE engines), and much better (in power and condition) than the 1GEU in that car atm. Ill do the usual mods like intake, exhaust, intercooler, and then some boost control to make it a little better. When i get money and get bored, i think it would be time for a 7MGTE anyway.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

From personal experince you only wanna do 1 engine swap to a car this life.

Go what you wanna end up with now. If it is the M then go for it but if you want to go or are even thinking about 1G or 7M GTE down the track I would do it now.
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

this car is pretty much only good for a run about, thats the main reason im not saving and then throwing a 1GGTE in it now. Its rough as, but its legal and works. The 1G in it will die soon anyway, so the MTEU would be a decent swap for it.

For a 7M swap i would get a better shell... like find one with the flares and stuff...

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Ba-bow.

If its anything like my MZ10 M-TEU, there is the engine ecu, the intercooler ecu, and the gearbox ecu.

Probably more wiring than my 1UZ.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Ba-bow.

If its anything like my MZ10 M-TEU, there is the engine ecu, the intercooler ecu, and the gearbox ecu.

Probably more wiring than my 1UZ.
    lol, well... i have no intercooler, and my transmission is not electronic

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Intercooler ECU?