Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F series LSD into standard F series

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Default Re: F series LSD into standard F series

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    be careful - take both diffs to the diff shop. I nearly got caught out trying to use an rt142 case with an ma61 centre - they were different internal heights! Although this was IRS, similar rules apply to solid rear ends...Id be using the supra lsd and the corona crownwheel...
    What was different heights? An F series crown should be 7.5 inches AFAIK, if it was smaller maybe the corona had a T?
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Magical Mushroom Grease Monkey Willy's Avatar

Its still an F series diff... I know that because I compared it to an auto MA61 diff...

FUUUUCK... Im so confused... I can get my money back, Im trying to think whether I should because I dont really neeed the LSD... its not like I have a heap of power... I just like getting the car sideways and it doesnt happen very often at the moment... pretty hoonish of me but meh, what can you do
    Relax, i'm with goatse...

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatthe?
    What was different heights? An F series crown should be 7.5 inches AFAIK, if it was smaller maybe the corona had a T?

both f series - the actual pit the centre bolts into, was different. Ie, when i put the supra centre with corona cw+p into the corona case - the saddles were jamming! was like wtf!
    Sure enough upon trying it all in the supra case...happy days!

Well, in my experience an F series is an F series. I havent heard of the problem Blake is talking about. Take both to a diff shop and a couple hundred bucks later you'll have an LSD equipped arse end

both f series - the actual pit the centre bolts into, was different. Ie, when i put the supra centre with corona cw+p into the corona case - the saddles were jamming! was like wtf!
    Sure enough upon trying it all in the supra case...happy days!
    Very weird, has anyone else heard of this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    Its still an F series diff... I know that because I compared it to an auto MA61 diff...

FUUUUCK... Im so confused... I can get my money back, Im trying to think whether I should because I dont really neeed the LSD... its not like I have a heap of power... I just like getting the car sideways and it doesnt happen very often at the moment... pretty hoonish of me but meh, what can you do

dude dont take it back, t series didnt come out in great numbers to aus with LSD's. (ie its HIGHLY unlikely u have one)
    What about the wet weather? lsd = good fun, open = ghey.
    it will all fit - just do what i said - trust me

Very weird, has anyone else heard of this problem?

Nobody else has probly tried to use a case other than the original one out of their car

FYI, corona rt142's and RA65 celicas are the only identical cases to ma61 (external)
    Ms123 at least, and i think mx73 as well are different. ms123 has ribbing much like the late model g series.

Nobody else has probly tried to use a case other than the original one out of their car

FYI, corona rt142's and RA65 celicas are the only identical cases to ma61 (external)
    Ms123 at least, and i think mx73 as well are different. ms123 has ribbing much like the late model g series.
    MX73 are the same, I was using one in my car til yesterday when I installed a new diff, physically identical to the MA61 job. A mate just put a locker from an IRS housing into a solid rear end as well with no issues. Like I said, I always though F was F

MX73 are the same, I was using one in my car til yesterday when I installed a new diff, physically identical to the MA61 job. A mate just put a locker from an IRS housing into a solid rear end as well with no issues. Like I said, I always though F was F

yeah so did i, hence i wanted to use the corona housing!! id already re assembled the ma61 housing with an open centre and then had to pull it apart!

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

willy, count the teeth on the crown gear of the lsd and tell us what you find. that'll tell us if it's the same ratio or not.
    beer me!

Well Willy, I think we'll all agree that it's highly unlikely that you'll run into this problem, but you will have to get your crown wheel fitted to the LSD unless you can bee 100% sure that the 2 diffs are the same ratio. It's a job best left to a diff shop IMO

Well Willy, I think we'll all agree that it's highly unlikely that you'll run into this problem, but you will have to get your crown wheel fitted to the LSD unless you can bee 100% sure that the 2 diffs are the same ratio. It's a job best left to a diff shop IMO

i agree dude, id like to think im pretty cluey when it comes to cars, but diffs are quite fiddly, especially playing with backlash in LSD's....mine was loose as and had lots of play before i took it in, u cant move it a mm now before they both lock up - for $150 i got this done!

it might be the sensible thing to do really. .. but if it has 43 teeth(same as mx23) then theres no need to worry about backlash as long as he does the screwcaps up as they were. they might need to be a bit looser than what they were because the bearings will be worn a bit, but if he does it evenly from what it was it's gonna be right. personally, i'd do it myself. i've done it before with no dramas.
    beer me!

Quote Originally Posted by joecoolmk2
    it might be the sensible thing to do really. .. but if it has 43 teeth(same as mx23) then theres no need to worry about backlash as long as he does the screwcaps up as they were. they might need to be a bit looser than what they were because the bearings will be worn a bit, but if he does it evenly from what it was it's gonna be right. personally, i'd do it myself. i've done it before with no dramas.

if he wants new bearings (which i suggest) then id be having the backlash done

yeah i spose you gotta learn somehow though.
    beer me!