Thread: Converting 110 PCD front hubs to 114.3 PCD

Junior Member Grease Monkey kojab's Avatar

Default Converting 110 PCD front hubs to 114.3 PCD

Can KE55 front wheel hubs which I believe have PCD 114.3 be fitted to KE25 front struts.

Will KE55 front struts fit a KE25

I used to know the answer to this but it was over twenty years ago

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: Converting 110 PCD front hubs to 114.3 PCD

Yes they can fit. I fitted KE38 hubs to my KE25 struts using the later KE bearings. Only issue is the inner dust seal - the later one won't seal on the strut and the earlier one won't fit the hub.

Just measure up the ID and OD for the seal from the hub and strut and head to a bearing centre to grab one for each hub. No bearing place I went to sold the size I needed so I had the seat in the hub for the seal machined out to accept the closest available seal size. It only required 0.5mm to be taken out of the hub.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

The later strut doesn't have the same bolt spacing as the ke25 steering arm, so it won't fit.
    My KE25 thread

Thanks for your input. I will pull them down and take a few measurements.

Another option is the R31 skyline strut. It's got plenty of upgrade options available in 4x114.3 and 5x114.3. It has the same bolt spacing on the base of the strut as the original KE25 strut.

I currently run the R31 setup in my KE25 with gazelle hubs, S15 rotors and R32 four piston calipers.

All depends how much braking you'll need. Just thought I'd let you know.
    My KE25 thread

Thanks again for your input. I could certainly do with more braking. Would RA60 struts bolt straight in? If not what would I need to do to make them fit. I can get a pair at the right price.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

There is number of ways you can go about it.

For me I just upgraded to AE86 struts/hubs/brakes using AE86 power-steering arms/knuckles with a taper adapter to fit nicely over the stock KE25 ball-joints.

Or if you dont want to use a taper adapter you can use lower control arms from a XT130 Corona (same length as KE25) or MX32 Cressida (slightly longer then KE25 i think) which have the bigger ball-joint so wont need a taper adapter.

KE3#, KE5# KE70, TE72 and AE86 control arms are all shorter then KE25 control arms so you will gain positive camber which is not a good thing lol.

Then you can bolt on E3#,E5#,E7# or AE86 steering knuckles and swap the strut tops to your KE25 ones and you can use any corolla strut ie E3#,E5#,E7# or AE86 or similar strut in other Toyota's eg RA60 etc,

this is basically if you wish to do a strut and brake upgrade while your at it which is a good thing as you cant get good shocks for KE25 struts...

all good and what not but changing struts affects the front end geometry and characteristics, this however can be fixed easily according to your needs.

or you could do what YLD-16L suggested and use KE3# or KE55 hubs. If you do this might as well get the backing plates and rotors and calipers and do that brake upgrade,

I heard you can use KE70 hubs as well

with the KE3# or KE55 hub swap, with regards to the bearings, you need a KE2# inner or outer and a later corolla inner/outer bearing im not to sure on the correct combination but its on rollaclub

head to rollaclub.com for more info, check the KE Tech Reference section
    Last edited by Tally; 17-06-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Tally thanks also for this info. I have not decided as yet on which direction I am heading but I will sum all this up and begin to source the required parts.

YLD-16L did you retain the original lower spring seat on the R31 strut or go for a smaller diameter spring?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

just to add, the KE2x steering arms are shorter than KE3X.. by something like 10mm??
    never measured them compared to AE86 power steering arms tho.. that could be an option and they are still available new.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by kojab View Post
    YLD-16L did you retain the original lower spring seat on the R31 strut or go for a smaller diameter spring?
    Mine have height adjustable coilovers on them so the springs are smaller diameter.
    My KE25 thread