Thread: 2j A340 transmissions, swapping aristo one for early cable type?

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 2j A340 transmissions, swapping aristo one for early cable type?

Hey all, think i have addressed this issue once before on here about the a340. I have a aristo JZS147 cut with the stock auto, which is for a independant rear end. This 2J is going into a falcon the has a live rear axle, so I have a earlier A340 and tailshaft to suit a live rear axle. I was going to change the mainshaft and rear housing from the old one onto the new one, but that seems like a lot of mucking around. Can I just fit the old Cable a340 onto the 2J, hook up the kick down cable to the throttle and be done with it? I have also seen a procedure on here to get rid off the electronic stuff and turn the a340 manual shift so can i just do that? Then I wouldn't have to worry about all the other electronic auto crap on the aristo setup?
    This is for a drag car so i dont care if the speedo works or any garbage like that.

Default Re: 2j A340 transmissions, swapping aristo one for early cable type?

Bump. Anybody got any answers???

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Ill take pics of my setup with the cable onto the throttle this weekend. Its a piece of piss. If you do the electronic mod on the g/box it works fine. Theres two types. Mv autos for a black box or do this http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...highlight=a340

Yeah i figured i might just fit the kickdown cable where the cruise control used to be, seeing its next to the throttle cable.
    Yeah i have had a read through that manual shift procedure, its simple yet clever. I just wondered if it upset the computer but i suppose if your auto doesn't rely on the computer it isn't really a issue.
    I don't even think i will bother with lock up.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Use the lock up. Its awesome. Good for the drags. You wont use 4th there if the lock up is used in 3rd. third at the drags for me runs out if i dont use the lock up. I could be wrong but im pretty sure im not. Was at the drags 4 months ago so cant remember 100%

Yeah i've got a mate from the trans shop were i used to work to come give me a hand with it this arvo. I think mine is a real early A340 that is all mechanical/hydraulic shifting. So i think alot of the wiring and that is really of no use, except of course the lock up... if it does have it lol, may not be a lock up converter. Of course i will hook up the inhibitor switch too.