Thread: Fitting 3tgte flywheel into T series bellhousing and T50 gearbox

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Fitting 3tgte flywheel into T series bellhousing and T50 gearbox

I have a 3tgte crank and have access to a Fidanza aluminium flywheel and exedy clutch to suit my 2tgeu/3t conversion.
    I read on Phil Bradshaw's site the 3tgte flywheel & clutch wont fit in T series bell housing.
    Has anybody tried this conversion successfully?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

Default Re: Fitting 3tgte flywheel into T series bellhousing and T50 gearbox

im sure ive fitted this before, ive got all these parts in the shed right now to find out, ill test it tomorrow after work and see how it goes.

all t series crank/flywheel bolt pattern are the same, so u can run a 3tc alloy flywheel if u want.

dan
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

ToyTA22, from factory 3T-GTE engines were fitted with the W55 gearbox. Trying to run a "T50 box" with a hefty output from a turboed 2T or 3T, not such a great idea. Source the correct bellhousing and gearbox.

The 3T-GTE flywheel has a greater friction plate contact area than the 2T flywhhels, so fitting the smaller "T" series clutch and pressure plate to enable fitment of the "T" box is counterproductive.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Zute. I realised I haven't explained the details in my prior post fully. I won't be using turbo at all, due to class regulations in which I compete.
    I will only be using 3tgte crank, flywheel & clutch assembly on 2tgeu/3t conversion. T50 box is 4AGZE TRD close ratio gearset which a Toyota motorsport contact in NZ informed me there rated at 200 engine HP.
    My engine builder & I calculated the NA engine would produce approx 165Hp at 7300rpm.
    I also understand T50 input spline is 23.5mm X 21T and have cross referenced drive plate specs and 1970 Diesel Dyna and MS47 Crown are same OD and spline size, which RPM make a HD plate to suit.
    Thanks for advice. Tony

it works i tryed it just before ill get some pics up
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

3tc (left) VS Gen 1,2 1GGTE flywheel

the 1g/3tgte fly wheel and clutch fitted into the bellhousing and fitted mint, didnt even rub.
    every thing bolted up fine.

the only use might be the length that the pressure plate forks stick out depending on clutch choise.
    with no plate in (thus forks out as far as u could ever have on a clutch) the through out bearing has slight pressure on it.
    but with the plate in and bolted up and the forks on my pressure plate sitting flat ( were most H/D ones will) there was heaps of clearance.

if u had trouble with the pressure plate hitting the bearing u can lathe it down (or i can).

well there u go, it works. i thought i had done it before haha

dan.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 08-06-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: update
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Thanks Dan
    Your input is greatly appreciated. I couldn't understand Phil Bradshaw's reason since starter ring gear is same size for 3tc and 3tgte.

any time, well at least we both now know its possible.

i take it phil didt put up a reason for it not working?
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

He didn't put exact reason just you need to grind, what I took as inside bell housing. I'll see if I can find it tonight and post some of comment to see.