Thread: carby hard to start

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

Default carby hard to start

hi everyone i have a suzuki carry with an f10a in it. (toyota forum i know but there's a wealth of knowledge on this site)

Now this is my first ever carby car and its getting into winter and on the last two mornings my little carry wont start. It normally starts fine but its been getting colder and colder. I normally start it, pull the choke and it coughs and splutters then comes good and i'm idling normally

The van has an eletric fuel pump. And when it didnt start the first time i left it and came home in the arvo un plugged the pump started it and after a few turns it fired up plugged fuel pump back in and it drove and started fine for the rest of the arvo. Got up this morning and same turns over but wont start

i almost think it might be flooding but i'm not sure. Any ideas or tricks for starting when cold??

pulled the air intake off last night and having a look down the carby when cranking fuel is dribbling out, i cleaned up the float and needle but i only just sprayed a bit of carby cleaner might give it a decent clean in the light tomorrow.

it was running pretty rough over the week leading up to all this, really spluttering and chugging right up to getting warm but once it was up to temperature it was fine and would drive perfect.

and now i can't get it to start at all no matter what combination of choke accelerator and even start ya bastard i put down it.
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: carby hard to start

take the plugs out and clean the crap out of them as the combination of fuel and start you moron will have fouled the plugs
    give it a spin with the starter to blow the fuel out of the bore
    then try starting it but rather than pulling in the choke after it starts give it about 1/3 throttle - pulll on the choke - then try to start it as usual with the choke out
    neil
    2009 aurion
    Purple 2000 Hilux - 1UZ

assembly is just the opposite of disassembly - just you swear in different spots!

It's a carby car in cold weather, hehe, nothing wrong with it all

My faclon was horrible in the cold. What I found was to pull the choke out, no throttle and give it a crank. If I suspected flooding, take the choke off, no throttle and crank it. It will kick briefly but wont keep going. Once it kicks with no choke you know the afr is back in the right spot and you can put the choke on again.

neil you where on the money.

cleaned the spark plugs up as they where as black as the ace of spades and spun it with out the plugs in, everything back together started fine will be keeping some emory paper and spark plug socket in the car from now on i think.
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

is worth checking if the float needle valve thing is leaky as well...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

could be onto something there old rolla's as i went to start the van up again and didn't want to kick over, i also think my battery isn't helping either as i think it might be to small to really crank the engine at speeds.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

run it for a bit, then turn off and look down the carby throat... if fuel still dribbling, you have a problem
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Also with the pretty cheap price of spark plugs these days i dont even bother cleaning them as i have seen to many " clean looking plugs after cleaning " break down, they usually start to arc through the centre electrode porcelin insulator ..

This is especially true if they have been really wet for a while & with oil build up around the porcelin as well ...

Also try experimenting with how much choke you pull out, try a little bit at first & give it a go & then a bit more & so on, a lot of carby cars like one or two throttle applications to get the accelerator pump squirting & a bit of choke & off you go ..
    Last edited by lexsmaz; 02-06-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexsmaz View Post

Also try experimenting with how much choke you pull out, try a little bit at first & give it a go & then a bit more & so on, a lot of carby cars like one or two throttle applications to get the accelerator pump squirting & a bit of choke & off you go ..
    i'll second this
    neil
    2009 aurion
    Purple 2000 Hilux - 1UZ

assembly is just the opposite of disassembly - just you swear in different spots!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

New plugs and get the carby tuned (or rebuilt if it's old and stuffed).

A carby engine will start as good as EFI, no matter what the weather conditions are like.... however, carbies need some annual TLC and adjustments to make sure it's working properly.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin