Thread: Manualised A340 questions

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Default Manualised A340 questions

Ok I’m running a 7MGTE with a Z20 7MGTE A340, 2800 stall and a sideshow shift box.

MS5x Never came with a floor shift auto so I’ve cut and shut a mixture of a MS65 shifter with a MX83 push rod and lever that have been cut to suit the length of the car and the length of the MS65 shifter.

Now for the first few weeks the car has been on the road at low throttle I was able to pick every gear and select O/D and lock up, however on hard throttle the car would briefly shift into 2nd (while in 2nd) and then shift itself into 3rd and try and pull away. This made the drags a little interesting and really hurt my 60 foot times.

As the box seemed to set up in relation to the shifter I decided to adjust the adjuster on the side of the box, the box that has the shifter rod running through it. So I adjusted this fully forward. I had no issues with the car skipping gears. However I then lost O/D I could get gears and lock up but O/D didn’t work. I then went the other way all the way to the back had the opposite effect. I had all gears but lost lock up O/D was working.

So then I reset up the shifter and moved the adjuster on the side of the box into the centre. Sat the shifter in drive and adjusted the bolt through the end of the shifter into the pushrod. This is the best the car has been Its not shifting by itself but yet again I have lost Lock up.

The shifter pick up thing Is from a MX83 box as the Z20 one was damaged. Could this be an issue. Or do I just have to keep dicking around with the adjustment??? Could it be with cutting and shuting of the push rod and lever on the side of the box, I’ve got the angles wrong??

Is there a way to test this system on the car?? Its getting annoying adjusting going for a drive then adjusting.
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Default Re: Manualised A340 questions

B&M Pro Ratchet bro, T-bar is for grandpa drivers

I've never had to look into it in detail, but i'm surprised that adjustment of the shift indicator box affected O/D & lockup, since you have lockup on a separate manual switch, and O/D is technically just the result of cutting power to all solenoids while the shifter is in the "D" position IIRC?
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

I was really surprised aswell, your spot on I have each othem on there own switches and they do work when the shift indicator box has is moved. I just haven't found "the happy place" or so it seems.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Im guessing the OD doesnt lockup when its in 2nd gear? Could the box be thinking its in 2nd instead of drive?

Do you have an on dash display on the crown for what gear its in?

If not maybe you need to setup some lights to identify what its really doing.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

yeah cuzzo, have the factory MS65 indicator, which when i run the car either stopped or engine running through the gears it appears to go in them all. i.e 1,2,3,n,r,p. I've had a few goes at setting the indication on the shifter. At first bolted it all together in P, then L, last time i did it and it gets all gears (123nrp) was when it was set up in D

For lock up and o/d i have to "air craft style" protected switches on two lights so its very positive to select either one of these and you get a LED well lit up in your face to say so too.

Seems like i may have to just keep just shuffling the adjuster around to find the sweet spot. Could it be a hassle as I'm running the adjuster from a MX83 on the Z20 box???

Stitt

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

I remembering in Timtams old cressida 1jz with the shifter box from MV? that he had a problem getting it into overdrive unless he completely de powered the indicator light on D .

He did this by shifting into neutral for a brief second with OD on to engage OD then back into D.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

ok will try that