Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what engines for RT-142

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default what engines for RT-142

Just out of intrest what engines fit into the RT-142. i believe they happen to be very good for quite a variety of engines

I know the 1ggte and 1ggze fit in there nicely and i know a mate of mine stucka V6 3.8 Beuic (Commodore VN engine) under there easily too.

I have also heard that a variety of V8s fit in there too.

post away.
    yes, i own a car, it has four wheels and an engine. and in the end, isn't that what really matters

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

Default Re: what engines for RT-142

i would'nt touch a vn motor teh poo unless you like changing cams in them every 150 000 k's bigest peaces of poo i've touched it's pretty much a marine engine

1g's,3s's,1uz's'1j's,1mz,3t's theres to many to pick from

i personally would go a 3sgte or a 3tgte if i had another one but the going trend is 1g's i've seen a few 1uz's

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

the good thing about the 3.8 V6 in my mates corona is that its got so much god danm grunt. if you consider that TRD can get 165KW (stock 60kw?) out of a 4ag just by working it imagine howmuch power you could get out of the beuic 3.8 (stock 125kw) drools... you could probably clear 250kw in pure workage. then you can always supercharge too. the chassy would probably bend because of the tourque.
    yes, i own a car, it has four wheels and an engine. and in the end, isn't that what really matters

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

spazworm.. Yes, I too have a sense of humour. Therefore I'll leave someone else to make the inevitable comments about the Buick V6...

I'm going to stick a 1UZ into my RA65 in the next few weeks, and it shouldn't be too difficult. I personally see no reason to bother with anything less. I wouldn't bother with a 1G, 3S or 3T myself.

Turbo'ing the 22R would be a better idea than bothering with a Buick pile of garbage...

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sam-131
    unless you like changing cams in them every 150 000 k's
    Cams? What about timing chains!

Plus, XF's are the cam kings!

hahahahahah lol lol

dude the saying "theres no replacement for displacement" went out in the late 70's

160hp from a 3.8 is laughable lmao not to meantion that it's a in block cam push rod engine you would'nt excatly call it a performance engine

if you want a efficient engine choose something twin cam so at least the head breath

early model vn's spit there cams out like buggers
    Last edited by sam-131; 10-05-2006 at 01:48 AM.

i carnt be bothered re writing it

tells you teh badness and teh goodness
    http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...post&p=2183390

it's there some were 5 or 6 posts from the bottom i explaned in simple terms teh poo and teh good
    Last edited by sam-131; 10-05-2006 at 01:26 AM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

3tgte, with a cross member from a TT142 or find a TT142 halfcut and it'd be a piss easy conversion with a moderate power upgrade.

1ggte has been done before and theres plenty of info around on it.

Oh and if you wanna turbo the 22re pretty sure someone had a 22rte up for sale or the manifold, turbo etc. Could be fun
    If in doubt power out

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spazworm
    the good thing about the 3.8 V6 in my mates corona is that its got so much god danm grunt. if you consider that TRD can get 165KW (stock 60kw?) out of a 4ag just by working it imagine howmuch power you could get out of the beuic 3.8 (stock 125kw) drools... you could probably clear 250kw in pure workage. then you can always supercharge too. the chassy would probably bend because of the tourque.
    I almost considered Neg. repping you for the above comments.... But you are from S.A. so i can forgive you this once, and this once only.

For future reference, commodore engines belong in crap-heap commodores or in an iron smelt to be turned into boat achors for indonesian fishing boats....

Have a look at the RT142 corona that "Pube" here on the forums has. He ran 13.509 @ 103mph just the other week with his 1G-GTE powered corona.

I would also listen to Mr Shin's comments regarding the 1UZ-FE.
    This is the arguably one of the most over-engineered engines ever mass produced and sold to the public on mass.
    4.0L all-alloy V8, quad cam, 32valves, EFI.... and bucketloads of TORQUE, REVS and POWAHHHZZZZZ!
    It's common knowledge that turbocharging them and getting 300-400kW or more out of a completely UNOPENED engine is completely normal.
    "JustenGT8" here on these forums makes close to 300kW at the rear wheels with his twin turbo 1UZ-FE and around 1bar of boost.

... no buick engine could dream of such abilities...

oh yeah... i used to own a completely bog stock UZS131 1989 Toyota Crown. It had, from the factory, a 1UZ-FE, 4sp auto, and weighed around 1830kg with me in it. It ran flat 16 second quarter miles in completely stock form.
    Imagine if you removed 600-700kg, gave it a shorter diff ratio, a manual box, and a proper exhaust.......
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    ... no buick engine could dream of such abilities...
    Hate to disagree there, but the Buick (not Commodore) Grand National???(think that was the name) V6 turbo is an extrememly capable car and very fast down the quarter. Very popular in America.

Having said that, I would still take a 1UZ.

Callum

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

buddy - you are bordering on a neg rep for that one!!!

Note the following key words:
    - UNOPENED
    - STOCK
    - OVER-ENGINEERED from FACTORY

no buick displays ability with the aforementioned properties retained.

... also, "Very popular in America" is not valid argument in my books
    Fast and the Furious is also very popular in america.....
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

22re are also popular in america lol.

1uz would be ideal, nice light engine, strong, not as old as the 1ggte's kicking round, plus V8 in a corona would be awesome.

I toyed with the idea of doing something stupid with mine at times, and probably would of if it had been an IRS model.

A manual 1uz in a corona would be a fooking quick car out of the box let alone with some mods down the track. It'd be either the same weight or possibly lighter than the 22r, so by the time you ad in bigger brakes and a few other extras it'd probably push 1100-1150kg without a driver. Thats gonna be a damn spritely package.

IMO it'd only be worth it with a IRS spec avante or CSI with 4 wheel discs though. Unless you did a hliux conversion to the live rear models it ain't gonna be fun plus they suffer from axel tramp something shocking.

IMO IRS corona + 1uzfe + R32 4 pots upgrade + MA61 lsd/true trac + work suspension and you'll have a damn quick car and an awesome sleeper.
    If in doubt power out

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Very off topic with the Grand National but -

By 1985, the Grand National was acquiring a reputation as modern muscle car, but the days of the G-body were numbered. For the final year, 1987, Buick introduced the GNX at a US$11,000 premium. Produced by McLaren/ASC, Buick under-rated the GNX at 275 hp and a very substantial 360 lbf-ft (488 N·m) of torque. This was created so as to be "Grand National to end all Grand Nationals," as the next model year converted the chassis to front wheel drive, which, Buick engineers admitted, simply wouldn't be able to put down that much power. Changes made included a special Garrett ceramic-impeller turbocharger connected by a ceramic-coated pipe to a better intercooler. A special computer chip, low-restriction exhaust, and reprogrammed Turbo Hydramatic 200-4R transmission with a custom torque converter and transmission fluid cooler completed the drivetrain modifications. Exterior styling changes include vents located on each front fender, 16 in black mesh style wheels with VR speed rated tires, and deletion of the hood and fender emblems. The interior changes of the GNX included a serial number on the dash plaque and a revised instrument cluster providing analog Stewart-Warner gages including an analog turbo boost gauge.

The acceleration performance of the GNX outpaced the factory's power claims: 0-60 mph (97 km/h) took just 4.7 s with a 13.4 s/104 mph (167 km/h) quarter-mile. According to contemporary sources, these numbers made the GNX the fastest production sedan ever built. This claim is somewhat controversial—the car had two doors but its interior volume and structure made it a sedan rather than a coupé, and just 547 examples were built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Grand_National

Unopened stock 13 sec quarters. With external mods even faster.

Callum

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

3vz-fe would be cool. gianttomato (sp) is selling adaptor rings for theses. plenty of torque good power and due to being V6 could handle quite well cause you would get a lot of weight back.

Nath #347 Backyard Mechanic PHOBIA's Avatar

2J, well, that's what i should have done anyway.
    1986 RT-142 Corona. Taking the phrase “WTF”, to a whole new level......

PHOBIA. Fear of.........investing your soul into customizing a "f@#kin what" a Corona???
    Click to see PHOBIA