Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can aftermarket ECU's be complied/engineered

1JZ Jockey Grease Monkey

Default Can aftermarket ECU's be complied/engineered

Just a quick question, tried to search but found alot of contradicting info on this subject.
    Basically would just like to know if it is possible to get an aftermarket ECU engineered or complied in SA,aslong as it meets relevant emissions standards?
    Car in question is my 1JZ MX73 on standards turbos, injectors and ecu.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Can aftermarket ECU's be complied/engineered

At a guess i would initially have to say no, my reasoning is based on that most AM ECU's are programable, and as such it can be changed, and that could be bad if a person didn't know what they are doing. Maybe a particular fuel ignition ect map could be engineered, but then enforcing that would be a PITA to do, so unless its a "fixed" map that cant be changed by the unqualified ppl of the world, it would be easier for the regulating bodies to put it in the too hard basket and say "no, they are all illegal". That said, there are more than just a few cars with AM ECU's running around on the streets, i'd hate to think that someone got a defect notice because of the Motec EMS they need to properly run all the toys on their car that are properly engineered.

Best advice i can give is to goto the local RTA and find out who has the capacity to issue an engineers certificates and ask that person about it.
    (unless theres an engineer on the forums?)
    NXI-44W - '95 MR2 Bathurst
    -1st(Class) - Kempsey Hillclimb
    -8th(All) - Armidale M/khana (with a BIG penalty)
    -1st, 3rd(Class) - Grafton Hillclimb
    -3rd(Class) - Grafton Hillclimb (State championship round)
    -3rd(Class) - Raleigh Raceway

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Get yourself the list of engineers in your state, and ring every single one of them. They'll all tell you something different, and then tell you something different on a different day as well. You just have to hold them to it when you hear something you think you can work with!

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Im not sure but i have done emmisions test at my old work for a couple of cars with aftermarket ecu to go through regency. So mabe.

Hide the Fuc@n thing and get an emission test done take it with you to regency then play later .

chrome is good Backyard Mechanic RO11LR's Avatar

in N.S.W no

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

I thought it was perfectly fine in NSW providing the ECU was locked after tuning and it passed emissions.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

in N.S.W no
    What is your basis for this statement?

I know of a sprinter with a microtech controlled 4AGTE that is engineered and the microtech is listed on the papers. The ECU had the port covered so no further reprogramming of the ECU could occur after the engineers inspection.

I thought it was perfectly fine in NSW providing the ECU was locked after tuning and it passed emissions.
    That's correct Frank and you don't even live in the State.

People should stop the "I heard", "a mate told me", "I thought" etc in the Tech Section as it really makes life hard for people who want answers and need to make decisions.

If you have no experience with something keep your pie-hole shut If you have experience then justify your response with your actual experience or example.
    Last edited by YLD-16L; 10-05-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Frank the tank had a good reply at same time.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

getting it engineered, and it actually being legal can be 2 different things... remember that when you're engineer shopping
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

So long as it's engineered to the vehicle guidelines, has the ECU locked, and has the certificate to say it passes emissions, providing it's of generally roadworthy nature, how can they stop that being legal? It's met the requirements.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

getting it engineered, and it actually being legal can be 2 different things... remember that when you're engineer shopping
    True.

I am not familiar with the process in NSW but in the ACT you see engineer-----> attain report $$$$------> book in for Government vehicle inspection $ (not just at the local garage but a single site operated by the government) -----> vehicle goes through full inspection and all items on the report are approved/disapproved by tech standards engineer-------> so if you get past this point with a pass your car is truly legal if you fail you will be forced to rectify the problems in order to pass. A copy of your engineers report is kept by tech standards for future reference.

I assume most other states have a similar process? Or not?

I think the ACT system is alright because you get your report and then it is approved before you are on the road. Hence giving you a legal end product.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Agreed with JCMF, but its almost a mute point these days anyway I mean when most new cars around have the Ecu's cracked ie Nissans and LS1/2 edit for Holden, flash tuner for ford.

These cars are all still running factory ecu's that can be tuned whenever funds permit for the owner and most probably wouldn't meet emissions anymore, how is that any different to an aftermarket ecu, I know I sure as hell won't be messing with my tune once I've spent x amount of dollars at the dyno shop not to mention I doubt I could afford to get it tuned for emissions and then retuned afterwards.
    If in doubt power out

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

much easier to stuff the aftermarket ECU inside a toyota ECU case - when things look stock, you attract less attention.

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank

Yep, as mentioned above.
    PRB Sportscars have a map for the Motec's they use that has passed all emissions tests, and it's locked.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla
    Yep, as mentioned above.
    PRB Sportscars have a map for the Motec's they use that has passed all emissions tests, and it's locked.
    CSV (Corsa Special Vehicles) used to run Motecs as well until they cracked the holden ecu, they'd be using a similar system because the cars meet all ADR's
    If in doubt power out

chrome is good Backyard Mechanic RO11LR's Avatar

[QUOTE=YLD-16L]What is your basis for this statement?

I know of a sprinter with a microtech controlled 4AGTE that is engineered and the microtech is listed on the papers. The ECU had the port covered so no further reprogramming of the ECU could occur after the engineers inspection.

i have spoken to an engineer who told me that i have to have an OE computer too pass , but then again he may be just saying that so it will pass without a problem but he definently said any ecu that can be reprogrammed is illegal
    stait from the horses mouth , i'll keep my pie hole open thanks mate