Thread: Speedo and Odometer questions

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic Big T's Avatar

Default Speedo and Odometer questions

Hey all. I'm trying to figure out a custom dash setup for my car and have run into a couple problems. I plan on getting a Pivot Speedo and Tacho but the speedo doesn't have an odometer display. The speedo is also electronic and I'm using a w55 that is currently equipped with a cable drive.

I know i can use the w58 electronic sensor and hopefully wire that into the speedo but i still have the problem of having no odometer. Would it be possible to source a stock dash with an odometer reading and somehow split the speedo signal to both sources? I would just hack up the stock dash and keep it in the glovebox or something. Or does someone have a better/different suggestion?

I know i could get a different set of matching gauges that has an inbuilt odometer but would like to know if this method could work. I've also been unable to locate a speedo that comes in a 60mm size except the Pivot one. Cheers dudes.

Eddie.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: Speedo and Odometer questions

eddie,

it's possible, but not easy.
    And certainly not going to be pretty

What you could do is use the W58 electronic sender as suggested, and then split the speed signal to a hacked up electronic speedo from another car. Of course this means you'll possibly have to have the guts of that speedo hidden somewhere in the dash, and then somehow remotely hook up it's odometer and mount that somewhere....

A choice example would be a UZS131 electronic dash. It has a "remote" odometer on the lower right section of the instrument cluster. I'll have a look how it funtions to see if this will work for you.

This idea will see a "pulse correction" circuit of course to ensure your odometer ticks over at the right speed. The Jaycar "digital speedo corrector" kit will do this.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Mmmmm, not easy, not pretty.... sounds like my kinda thing

Thanks for that Witzl. Let me know what you come up with. If it comes to it, i don't really mind if the odometer isn't visible on the dash, as long as it's there and i can refer to it later. I plan on doing a similar thing with hacking up the fuel gauge and mounting it somewhere near the floor next to the seat.

Eddie.

Just an update on this... i've found out that you can get an adaptor that utilizes both the cable AND an electronic signal which means i could just use my stock dash with the cable for an odometer reading and use the leccy signal for the Pivot speedo. Win win!

I've been told that the t-50 speedo cable is a direct fit into the w55. I'll have to check this for myself but can anyone else confirm/deny this?

Eddie.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

had no luck checking the crown setup, cos the dash is completely smashed up on the front cut out the back.

yes these adaptors exist... but myself i would prefer the electronic option. Wires are easier to run than cables.... and more accurate.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Yeah but that's cause you're a bit of an electronic whiz Karl. Normal people don't know how to MAKE a projector from random bits of monitor and fans

Anyways, i'll see how i go with setting up the cable 1st since i've already got that in place.

Eddie.