Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilux YN85R Grinner engine swap..

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Hilux YN85R Grinner engine swap..

Hi All,
    Ok I'm going to swap my Hilux 2y for I think 1jz unless i can be convinced of something better as in less difficult.. The one thing slowing me down is the mounts, as i am a mechanical midget I'm hoping I am up to the task.

After reading as many threads as I can find on a meridian of different sites the only one I have found is this http://www.bicperformance.com/products.htm but have not responded to my emails..

I am hoping that I can buy a mounting kit including gearbox as manufacturing some maybe out of my league..

If you have some I want them, if you know where I can get some I would love to know.. or even if you have drawings so I can have them made..

Many Thanks in advance
    Axil

attached is a pic of my baby..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Hilux YN85R Grinner engine swap..

I am having simalar probs but for a 22r to SR20DET in a 1991 hilux every one says there available but i am havin troubs finding where to source from

yep 1JZ has been over done surely some has seen the potential of making these... what made you choose the SR20DET?
    Last edited by Axil; 05-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.

"Axil
    Re: Hilux YN85R Grinner engine swap..

yep 1JZ has been over done surely some has seen the potential of making these... what made you choose the SR20DET?"

I got it (SR20) cheap with a nissa exa and its a create motor 350+hp (aparently) never been in a car and has been sitting around for 5 years, as ive sorta out grown fast cars. but the missus has her heart set on a mini truck but she loves quick cars i was thinkin ecotec, 5Ltr, etc but i started doin some research and seen heaps of people have done this SR20 conversion so i thought it would be good for a laugh. i wanna start building myself a rockcrawler so i thought i cut my teeth on this project + im air bagin it to if im not over it by then might even look at awd adaption for it.

Sweet this will be my first conversion.. Bought the Lux for my boy for $500 and thought i would touch it up for him for his 18th it lasted 6mths until he wanted to trade it on a subaru liberty.. so i gave him the $500 and kept it for myself repainted it converted from 4 to 5 speed but the 1.8 2y is so under powered about 48klw i read somewhere when it was new.. Just sold my F6 Typhoon and thought this would be a fun replacement..

yeah the biggest hurdle im finding is getting decent suspension set ups cause they handle like shopping trolleys

I found once you loose some height it makes a huge difference
    Newest of the Noobs

good to hear

Junior Member Grease Monkey 50RTD's Avatar

Would be an awesome swap to do, they are pretty light and even with a stockish 1J, it will bag 'em in almost any gear given the light arse end...

If off the shelf parts cant be found, i'd be starting looking at getting some mounts from some of the other inline hilux engines and having a look at how close they will come, or where they will sit the engine, or if they could be modified to work.... perhaps 3RZ mounts, 3L diesel mounts etc??

Probably better to make from scratch though, they wont be too complicated on a hilux.

I'd be looking at finding a fuel tank from a later model EFI petrol one too, save running lift pumps, surge tanks and external pumps etc, just use a Walbro or similar and go from there....

Good luck!!

Yep on the list the fuel tank or at least the pumps, I've found the mounts made by a crew in Canada but they are closed at present must be their holiday period.. Very similar to what everybody whom has done their conversion so bit of luck They will be spot on...
    Newest of the Noobs

Junior Member Grease Monkey 50RTD's Avatar

Thats good news, certainly worth paying for a proven outcome, can be a frustrating exercise making them from scratch.

Will have to start a build thread when you get your bits together...

I have an almost complete 1J if you need any bits.

-Dan

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Dont bother buying those mounts from canada, i did and they didnt fit that well, motor was too high and too far forward and i payed 350US dollars for the effort.
    It is so easy to make your own even though i had help with mine i could easily do it now.
    Just mount the motor where you want it with blocks of wood and space it off the crossmember and steering rod with a rear sump and make two flat plates to bolt to the motor side then two flat plates that sit on top of the hilux mounts then fill in the gaps.
    Heres some dodgy pics of my daily's mounts its a 2jzge but my 2jzgte has similar mounts but it sits a little further back because i modded the firewall.

Heres how it sits
    Last edited by 2jzhilux; 09-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.

So 2jzhilux,
    you have done 2 conversions one with 2jzge and the other with 2jzgte ? Did you mod the firewall on both ?
    Newest of the Noobs

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Yes the 2jzge and w58 combo i didnt mod the firewall at all but the 2jzgte and a340 i did modify it with a hammer because i wanted it to sit as far back as possible.
    It is a tight fit though because if i have to take out the bellhousing bolts the motor has to be pulled because they are so close to the firewall.

Hehe what an invention the hammer so universal, I am waiting for my rear sump manual half cut to arrive may ned to do the same mod!