Thread: 4K out-3t in

Forum Member

Default 4K out-3t in

Have 79 KE38 Wagon with tired 4K-4Spd and in my yard I have T18 with very healthy 3T-T50. Any secrets or tips I should know about while doing this transplant?

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: 4K out-3t in

Pretty straight forward mate. Ditch the cable clutch, and install the hydraulic setup frpm the T18. May require a little welding and fabrication to get that spot on. The tailshaft from the T18 will have the correct yoke for the T50 box, choose which tailshaft you need and swap ends over to suit gearbox or diff yoke. Engine mounts come very close, may need a slight change, but nothing major. The engine cooling fan will sit soo close to the radiator that the slightest nudge or heavy application of brakes will see the fan gouging its way through the radiator core. Swap the water pump for a short nose 2T pump.

That is about it,

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Grease Monkey tojo's Avatar

If the t50 is a 20 spline vertion (depends on model) the k40 driveshaft will be fine.
    Original ke38 gearbox crossmember bolts in a bit further back (10cm?) for the t50. Holes for it are already there
    KE17 TE38 KE35 KP61 KZN130

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

any issues with sump clearance?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    any issues with sump clearance?
    No, its a drop in, line up on driveshaft for fore aft alignment and make engine mounts. Sump is just right, MAY have issues with swaybar clearance as there are a few variations.

Callum