Thread: Engineer approval for 4agze Ae86

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Engineer approval for 4agze Ae86

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of filling out the vehicle modification application for my car. Apprently this is what you have to do before you do any major mod to your car (in WA anyway) and they will tell you if its ok.

Anyway the car will be fitted have a stardard map sensor 4agze engine I've been told by various people that the brake will probably need to be upgrade before the engineer will approve it.

Does anyone know for sure that this is the case? currently I just have the stardard Aus spec front brake and rear Jap disc. I wonder if this will be sufficient? If I have to upgrade the front brake I think I might have to scrap the idea, since front brake upgrade is $$$ apart from Jap spec front disc, which i don't think is that much better or is it?

Any help/advise in regard to engineer approval for a 4agze sprinter will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

Default Re: Engineer approval for 4agze Ae86

I did an 89 CSX Seca about 6 years ago with the 4AGZE. I got the front cut so I installed the larger front brakes, but left the rears as std drum setup.

Initially i contacted the approvals section and was told I would need to get a "full drive by cycle emmisions test" which was about $3500 from Orbital engines. Obviously I was disappointed but I wanted it legal so I spoke to an importer friend and I was put in contact with an engineer (PM me for name) who took care of it. He even had a huge argument wih the head of the modifications approvals section who adamently refused to pass it due to the emissions being untested. My engineer went over his head to the next level resulting in the fellow being told that the japs have better emissions than us so sign it. He wasn't a popular customer over there after that.

I can't remember the brakes being an issue since I was away and my wife met with him for the test.

For my next project (Cressida with 1JZGTE) the front cut disks were damaged so initially it run with the standard brakes (BA rotors came later). Before the engineer saw it the front disks were already warped, so i knew I had to make a change, but I just got them skimmed prior to the test (I wanted it legal before other changes were made). All they do is require 1 or two consecutive brake tests and if it stops in the required distance then you are fine. Based on this you should be fine and you might be best to not mention the changed rears and let them assume theey are standard.

Once the engineer gets his money (few hundred dollars) you get a peice of paper and can go straight to the pits for the normal inspection.

Tom86,
    I recently got my car (mercedes with a 1jzgte + manual, what a wild combo) inspected by an engineer signatory and passed pits inspection first go.

I, too, also had a very difficult time with VSB (welshpool), so you are not alone.

Some advice: just get the least amount of things listed as modified on that application. That excludes aftermarket springs / rims / brakes from the application.

Those various people are wrong if it's a requirement to upgrade brakes before engineer will approve it.

I used my original (4-cylinder engine rated) brakes and tyres/rims, even though I had a 6 cylinder engine in it, it passed the test fine - I thought I'd fail it. It's a bit scary to use handbrake when doing 110 kph+ when you haven't done it for the first time... well... atleast for me.

Be sure that you have retained _all_ your emissions control, and the exhaust not loud as hell ;)

Oh... and go to warwick pits when it comes to inspection - they are friendly people. The mob at welshpool are horrible as hell from what I've heard and also experienced (VSB).

And be prepared to pay 500$+ for the signatory's service.

-BK.

Interesting because a lot of the car importers and other dealersships up in Wangara drive past Warwick all the way to East Perth for the test since they are so picky.

That said against their recommendations I have been to Warwick a few times and had to go back a few times for little things.

I spoke to the engineer Brian recommened to me yesterday. Anyway he said there is a new code for light vechicle modification out now you can have a look here

After reading that I'm not sure if 4agze in a Sprinter (or any decent engine swap) will be legal anymore, as one of the requirement for performance replacement engine is
    The replacement engine should be of similar weight and power output (i.e an increase of not more than 20%) to that of an engine fitted by the original vehicle manufacturer as standard or optional equipment
    but then it said somewhere else that for a car that weight 940kg i can have a force induction engine upto 2585cc and N/A engine of up to 3760cc (don't know what the hell is going on here )

Well the 4agze i'm considering is rated at ~125kw and a stock 4ac sprinter is rated at 53kw and the Jap spec 4age sprinter is rated ~97kw. So i don't know how this is going to work the only way I can see is using the older 4agze from a MR2 or something. 20% is a very small margin.

Hopefully the quote refers to doing it without an engineers report and the next thing you referred to is what will cover you. I assume he said he can sort it out for you?

Hopefully the quote refers to doing it without an engineers report and the next thing you referred to is what will cover you.
    Yes I re-read the document again. I should have read one section at the time rather than reading here and there

Ok I'm happy again now so it should be ok.

That PDF link is a very good document (was posted on toymods 2 months ago) and matches with what I experienced - wish it had existed 12 months ago...

Looks like they replaced the 25% increase of capacity and power rule to not require engineers report.

BrianRA23, not sure why I was treated with ease... maybe wearing a suit helped :) or maybe they just treated my conversion as just an engine change ;)

-BK.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Hey!

Thought I'd dig this up, hows it going Tom?
    Approved yet? Any problems?

I'm going to be registering mine soon...

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Thought I'd dig this up, hows it going Tom?
    Approved yet? Any problems?
    Not yet, the engine still need to go in. Shouldn't be much of a problem now as I know exactly whats needed to done.

I need to get the following engineered. The engine, the quick rack, brakes and new tyres did you know that 195/50/15 is not legal cos of the profile

Will update this thread when I get it registered.