Thread: 3VZ-FE in MZ11

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

Default 3VZ-FE in MZ11

thoughts?

ive got an mz11. a W55. a reconditioned ma61 lsd. a v6 seems seems like a viable option.

i was thinking a RB20DET. but using a slightly obscure toyota engine will motivate me in fact a little more than taking the easy route.

Also this takes advantage of the parts on hand in a little bit more logical way. obviously the trans will get used but also the diff will probably protrest a little less behind the NA v6 at a guess.

i am aware there is already some good info on the theory of rwd'ing this engine.

which model/years camry did this enigne come in? so i can go have a look at one at a few wreckers.

also what $$ should i likely pay? am i going to be able to make the factory ecu work? can i use an auto one?

apprentice carpenter Grease Monkey hosking9898's Avatar

Default Re: 3VZ-FE in MZ11

hey mate,
    i have a 3vz-fe for sale in the engine section, comes with computer wiring etc....

cheers
    Its better to be Pissed off than Pissed on

Junior Member Grease Monkey

3vzfe shares same bell housing patter with s series engines and i think all other Toyota v6's except new 4L 1grfe i think. s engine > w box bell housing like in a sa63 celica should allow you to get the engine and your w55 to make love or go the y series bell route. so pritty much the 3s > rwd all over again, unsure about starter position. also could use a 6 speed from a altezza (box bell housing one peice) or belhousing from 5vzfe hilux or 3vze 4 runner (note 3vze, not 3vzFe) but im fairly sure they use r series gearboxes

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

thought of 1mzfe? newer, slightly more powerfull and aluminium. can also be found in vvti but has late model week rod syndrome so cant lean on it as much in boosted form.

yeah. my thoughts so far are the Y bell cos theyre easier to get. im expecting to need to do some customising on the bell/starter set up anyway. and a custom flywheel possibly if those are the 2 major expenses the project stands a good chance of getting the green light.

i really just need to go look at an engine and check the orientation of various things like intake and alternator position etc. sump as well.

not super keen on the newer engine but ill have a look..

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

Seems like a lot of work for not much power.

I would have thought V6 wise 1MZ would be a better choice. Although if i was gonna spend any sort of money on a Z11 it would be to go to a 7Mgte or a 1JZ at least.
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

i dont see that it will neccesarily be all that much work, and for something slightly unique the effort is justified. i definately dont see it costing that much. at some of the western wreckers im sure i can get an engine for $600. i reckon i can do the whole thing for 2k. also.. its decent power. not a heap but enough to make a fun car. mz11s are light..

7ms are too old and manual bellhousings etc are way over priced last time i looked. + hg issue.

the thread in the below link makes a pretty good argument for the 3vz. seemingly a little biased but still.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/v6-owners-...toyota-v6.html

either way i think its a fun little challenging project and it turns a rolling shell into a working car.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

3VZFE are a good motor, if they had factory coil packs it'd be a straight forward swap. You're stuck needing an aftermarket ecu or run a Megajolt on a front mounted CAS for ignition and retain the factory Dizzy base tricking the IGF ECU signal with a NPN transistor and a resistor from the IGT trigger. They're prone to blown headgaskets and corrosion, but gaskets last longer than a 7M I guess.

Factory FWD cast exhaust manifolds looked useable too. Heads are choked up as the rumour that floated around is that the prototype motor made more power than the 2JZ NA motor and they felt it wasn't right to have the family car having more power than the sports car of the same era. Most accounts say 30 - 40hp gains on porting alone.

They have a full steel girdle in the bottom end, which is a plus for reliability. Such a shame the runners on the 5VZ RWD intake are 450mm long, not really a performance part.

Auto ECU will work, but I bet you'll get a check engine light unless you trick the ecu.

Drift barge master Backyard Mechanic orestes's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: 3VZ-FE in MZ11

Hmm... sounds good man The cost and availability of Camry parts at wreakers makes this sound like a fairly cheap to do conversion, and it seems like the bellhousing and other stuff to RWD it is commonly available. Given we have the majority of the parts here I really see it as a viable and fairly cheap option. It's something that's a little different, and being a V6 you would think there wouldn't be to much trouble making it fit, although you can't speak on that before looking. It really shouldn't weigh anymore than a 6M either...
    Last edited by orestes; 02-04-2011 at 02:10 AM.
    MZ-10/GZ-10 hybrid turbo rolling shell, RB30 powered
    IS200 - 1GFE

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

1mz shouldn't cost much more if any at all. Here in the states I see them in the pick your parts as much as I see the 3vzs. Truck owners over here hate the 3VZ calling them 3.slows and I agree(manifold design maybe the cause).My uncle had one in his 4runner in which the crank snapped in half two separate times! stock truck also. I believe all the 1mz's are COP's too and all Aluminum weighing less than a 3SGTE. there exhaust pitch is beautiful also.
    1983 KP61 - High Comp 4AGE, Celica-Supra Rear, etc.
    1971 Volswagen Baja Bug - 1835cc, Megasquirt, Type 2 Trans
    1997 KZN185 - 3RZ W59, Tundra Front Coils, ELocker

i guess the 1mz is worth looking at, but i do have a pretty specific idea about where im going to get the engine from. and i doubt theyre going to have them. also from the little ive read the stock ecu is going to be much more difficult to deal with and im not really too keen on that.

ive got an idea already about how im going to solve the dizzy dilemma with the 3vz.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

3VZE truck motors and 3VZFE camry/ES lexus motors are 2 different animals. 12V 112kw vs 24V 149kw. Later twincam 5VZFE and 3VZFE's aren't known for as many problems as the 3VZE's. I'm going to weld the starter mount from a FWD bellhousing to my 2S bellhousing for my 2GR, would save cutting the block.

I spent a bit of time going through the EPC and it might be possible to use a FWD camry starter output shaft in a 3Y starter housing to make a long reach starter motor. That way if modifying the aluminium block you don't need to cut a huge chunk out of the block. Just holesaw a large hole for the starter cog and 2 holes for the mounting bolts. I've got a tig now so I'm just modding the bellhousing, but it might be worth looking into or the budget 1mZ RWD swap.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Any reason to not go the tried and tested 1UZ path?

Just seems odd (to me) to go an untried/unproved route for very little benefit (apart from the awesome wow factor)
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Or the even more boring xJZ route....

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12