Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mx22 engine conversion from 4M what do you recommend

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default mx22 engine conversion from 4M what do you recommend

Hi guys
    Im new to Toyota's and have just got a mx22 mark 2 corona 1973

I want to change the 4M Engine in it

What do you guys recommend for a realistic conversion or upgrade ??
    I want to be able to register the thing and willing to get basic engineers certs to do so if i have to but would prefer not to.
    Thanks

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: mx22 engine conversion from 4M what do you recommend

Hi mate

The two most important details are:

* why are you upgrading (eg. to be faster, for better towing, for better economy, just because your 4m blew up, etc)
    * what is your budget?

Including purchase you could probably fit a 5MGE/6MGE/7MGE for $1000-$2000 but anything else you're really looking at $5k plus, except maybe a 2JZGE which in my opinion is your best bang-for-buck but is not an easy conversion like the M-series motors.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

I would definatly recommend a Bugatti Veyron V12 as a first choice for engine upgrade.
    Should be a relatively simple conversion if you have the dough to purchase one in the first place!!!

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Hi mate

The two most important details are:

* why are you upgrading (eg. to be faster, for better towing, for better economy, just because your 4m blew up, etc)
    * what is your budget?

Including purchase you could probably fit a 5MGE/6MGE/7MGE for $1000-$2000 but anything else you're really looking at $5k plus, except maybe a 2JZGE which in my opinion is your best bang-for-buck but is not an easy conversion like the M-series motors.
    Well the 4m is blowing smoke so i need to change it but also wouldnt mind some power too. Do the 7mge have much power?
    I was thinking a 13b rotary as i wouldnt even need a engineer report as it is 2.6 so below the 15% limit from the rta and will also give me pleenty of power!!

Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    I would definatly recommend a Bugatti Veyron V12 as a first choice for engine upgrade.
    Should be a relatively simple conversion if you have the dough to purchase one in the first place!!!

Cheers,
    Jason
    Hey Jason
    I was thinking about that but the i wanted more power!!
    And ive been told that engine uses oil

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

my old 7MGE was making 100rwkw,

1J's and 2JZGE make a little over

how much power are you after a 7MGTE, 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE

just the only issues is with the later model motors is having to do the injection set up, ie fuel set up sand wiring
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Quote Originally Posted by TheStitt View Post
    my old 7MGE was making 100rwkw,

1J's and 2JZGE make a little over

how much power are you after a 7MGTE, 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE

just the only issues is with the later model motors is having to do the injection set up, ie fuel set up sand wiring
    IF im going to all that trouble than i think a 13B Injected is a better option does anybody disagree and if so let me know why?

Duct Tape Solves All Conversion King ivandude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samrex View Post
    IF im going to all that trouble than i think a 13B Injected is a better option does anybody disagree and if so let me know why?
    i wouldnt even need a engineer report as it is 2.6 so below the 15% limit from the rta and will also give me pleenty of power!!
    Power is attributed to the factor of 15%+ or - limit. It's specifically to displacement AND to power. Going to another family of engine and entire make, may not be in your favour too.

When I was looking at legality of a 7M-GE (180hp) MA61 converted -- original engine being a 5M-E with 130hp, I was told it should be easy having it legalized due to same family of engine. If you're going a 13b - to any copper or inspector who knows their stuff, will definitely give you trouble.

However I have a mate who used to daily drive with a 13B-Turbo TA22 (til it blew a turbo) and no one has ever asked him questions, even when cops pulled him over and asked to see the engine. They just think its something old lol.
    1982 Soarer MZ11 1JZ-GE VVTi build
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    1981-1985 Z10 Soarer Owners International Group
    Former rides ~~ RA65 '85 Celica ~ MA61 '84 Supra ~ JZA80 '98 Aerotop ~ AE101 '92 Levin Toyo4life

Quote Originally Posted by ivandude View Post
    Power is attributed to the factor of 15%+ or - limit. It's specifically to displacement AND to power. Going to another family of engine and entire make, may not be in your favour too.

When I was looking at legality of a 7M-GE (180hp) MA61 converted -- original engine being a 5M-E with 130hp, I was told it should be easy having it legalized due to same family of engine. If you're going a 13b - to any copper or inspector who knows their stuff, will definitely give you trouble.

However I have a mate who used to daily drive with a 13B-Turbo TA22 (til it blew a turbo) and no one has ever asked him questions, even when cops pulled him over and asked to see the engine. They just think its something old lol.
    Thanks mate
    Whatever i do it will be engineered

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Rotor will have to be engineered regardless of displacement/power. Also it will be much lower on torque, and thus will suffer in the economy and daily driveability department.

What sort of power do you want?? If you want an engine that has enough go to happily push you round at 100kph and be able to easily overtake grey nomads, then a 7M-GE with up spec head studs will be fine (they suffer from BHG-itis without overtorquing the head gasket).

If you want to scare people with HSV/FPVs who think you're easy pickings at the lights, then 2JZ-GTE will shame them.

If you want a rumbly cruiser, then a 1UZ-FE will give plenty of torque, and are very smooth.

If you don't want to worry about injection, perhaps an 18R-G could be a possibility, but like the rotor, you are starting to stretch the torque issue.

Have a really good think about how much you can afford, and exactly what kind of driving you expect out of this thing. Upgrading the brakes would be very wise to do at the same time.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

7mge with head re-done. Use existing gearbox even I think..?? (someone can clarify there)

There's many reasons to stay M series, if you want to get it done cheap and still have a noticeable difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23 View Post
    Rotor will have to be engineered regardless of displacement/power. Also it will be much lower on torque, and thus will suffer in the economy and daily driveability department.

What sort of power do you want?? If you want an engine that has enough go to happily push you round at 100kph and be able to easily overtake grey nomads, then a 7M-GE with up spec head studs will be fine (they suffer from BHG-itis without overtorquing the head gasket).

If you want to scare people with HSV/FPVs who think you're easy pickings at the lights, then 2JZ-GTE will shame them.

If you want a rumbly cruiser, then a 1UZ-FE will give plenty of torque, and are very smooth.

If you don't want to worry about injection, perhaps an 18R-G could be a possibility, but like the rotor, you are starting to stretch the torque issue.

Have a really good think about how much you can afford, and exactly what kind of driving you expect out of this thing. Upgrading the brakes would be very wise to do at the same time.
    Mate im finding it hard to understand what you mean about the torque issue. A 13B with a downdraught webber sure does drink i agree but as for torque i dont think much can compare you can rev it twice as much as any other engine and its constant power all the way through, atleast from my experience but i could be wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13 View Post
    7mge with head re-done. Use existing gearbox even I think..?? (someone can clarify there)

There's many reasons to stay M series, if you want to get it done cheap and still have a noticeable difference.

What are the reasons please share i want to weigh up all options

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

you can rev it twice as much as any other engine
    Factory redline for RX-7 Series 1/2/3 13B = 7000rpm
    Factory redline for RA2x 18R-G = 7000rpm
    Factory redline for MX81 7M-GE = ~6000rpm

Unless you are talking about modified engines, but you haven't mentioned that.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.