Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S54 gearbox question ? linkages

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Default S54 gearbox question ? linkages

hey guys i have a 162 with s54 in it that im replacing with another s54, which is 5sfe gearbox, the gearbox im lookin at replacing it with is out of a 95 96 widebody camry ? my question is will the linkkages on the box be the same as wat i have now and bolt up or will i have to use the linkages that i have now or get them custom made ?

Default Re: S54 gearbox question ? linkages

bythe way i havent got the new box yet as its in sydney and i am worried about not being able to use it ( im a 7 hr drive away )
    cheers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Does your current car have an S53 or S54 ? Usually they have an S53

Either way... if it's out of a front wheel drive car I don't see how the linkages could be significantly different. I remember the linkages out of a St184 (S54) were no problem. If nothing else, you could probably mix and match things anyway (probably using your old linkages?)
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

i have an S54 now out of an 184, yeh i was thinkin could possibly mix and match just not sure, the new box is S54 from 95 camry. wat were the s53 out of ?

S53's came out of SV11/21, ST162 (SX/ST) and dunno possibly some others too !
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Dont SV21's and ST162 ST's have S54 gearboxes? The only car's I've heard of having S53's were the ST162 SX and ST182 (3SGE). I could be wrong though... damn internet myths.

mmmmmmmmmm anyway i got a s54 and am puttin a s54 out of a camry into my car, with my new clutch will be very good... also FMIC more boost, the celica will be a weapon.
    i guess no one really knows if it will work ? i will just have to cross my fingers, im sure if it doesnt i can modify the linkages anyway.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

its should fit absoltley perfectly, except maybe the box mount may beed to be modded slightly...if youre unlucky.

you coulve got an E153 (v6 camry box), theyre stronger (a good 150hp+ stronger) but theyre usually a tad taller in gearing. this also gives you MR2t LSD/diff options etc as its the same box.

yeh couldnt really find any v6 boxes lying about, so just went s54 again, also i got my clutch comin for s54 heavy duty cushion button clutch (exeddy)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTTR
    Dont SV21's and ST162 ST's have S54 gearboxes? The only car's I've heard of having S53's were the ST162 SX and ST182 (3SGE). I could be wrong though... damn internet myths.
    SV21's definitely have S53's - seeing as I pulled an S53 from one just last week ST162 ST porbably has a S53 as well, but because I've never looked closely at those pieces of poo I can't confirm it - hahaha

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

aaarrrrgh - *pop* (head exploding)

That's one internet myth blown out of the water.

I thought that S53 was the g.box with the closer ratios and starter motor on the engine side that came in the ST162 SX. Karl said his ST182 had an S53 in it also. I guess they're just different variations on the same box and the S54 is a later model?

Yeah i'd say the S54 would be a slightly later model ...

The S53 ex-Camry SV21 came with the starter motor on the gearbox side (unlike the S53 on the ST162).

The gear ratios in the S53 from the ST162 and the S54 from the ST184 are all the same - except for the final drive ratio. The S53 ex-SV21 has a different final drive from the S53 ex-ST162 - and some people say a different gear ratio or two (5th maybe?) but I find that difficult to fathom. When I take the two gearboxes apart in the near future i'll let ya know for sure

i find my s54 has noticable different gear ratios then my 162 s53, 2nd and 5th gear maybe.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic matt86sx's Avatar

When I replaced my original engine/box in my 162 with those from an ST202 half cut, the new S54 box mated with the 162 gear cables perfectly.

Don't know if your S54 will be different due to the fact it came from a Camry and not a Celica, but hopefully it's the same as mine!

Matt

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

between the camry's and celicas they are the same boxes, same engines. so yes, this new box would fit in, you shouldn't even need to modify the mount if you are already using an s54, all s54's are the same except for the mr2 ones, that have the linkages reversed.

remember a celica is a 2 door camry hahaha joking
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers