Thread: ms 55 engine upgade

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default ms 55 engine upgade

hi guys im looking for a solid 2m or a replacement motor for the 2m at this stage i don't want to start another long conversion so the easier the better , any one with any info on motor upgrades would be a great help
    if worse comes to worse i will go head on with a 1 or 2j swap lol

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: ms 55 engine upgade

Hello

So your budget can extend to a 1JZ/2JZ engine conversion? Depending on further criteria it might be the first choice.

If reliability is a concern, then practically any M motor you might consider is probably due for a refresh anyway. I couldn't find any rebuild kits for the 2M. If you can find them, rebuilding that would be your cheapest bet since you already have the motor, providing you are doing most of the rebuild work yourself.

However, the nifty thing about sticking with an M motor is that any M motor will bolt into your Crown, but of course there are further issues involved with this choice of conversion. Rebuild kits for the 5MGE, for example, can be had from the US for around $600. You'll spend between nothing and $500(?) for the motor from the wreckers. Probably looking at $1500 for a refreshed 5MGE - however this is a guestimate, someone else could probably give a more accurate costing. The next main issue is that an Engineering Certificate may be required, so add on another $500 or so.

The point now is, that as far as I am aware, for an extra $1000 or so you can have a modern, powerful, economical and reliable JZ motor. The main effort (and potential cost) is getting it to fit. Finding a JZ motor with the correct sump configuration, for example.

And also check out this thread where all the Crown discussion happens. Just recently a member named bp18t posted an installation of a 1JZ twin-turbo motor into a MS53 wagon.

Remember to post some pictures of your Crown

Hope all the above made sense!

Cheers,
    Brendon