Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ST185 Upgrades (turbo + suspension)

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default ST185 Upgrades (turbo + suspension)

Hello Everyone,

I've just brought a ST185 that you guys might know ... the mongrel? So far I've been very happy with the purchase.

Anyways --- it needs a bit of work / tidyup then some upgrades. Fitted a decent stereo last week and I just dropped it off for paintwork today. Oil leaks + A/C regas.next.

The upgrades I'd like to get some advice on. I've been down the path of aftermarket mani's and turbos on other cars and found it to be a pain. I want to keep the new ST185 to just bolt-on mods.

It has a Wolf V4 that needs a tune badly, but I thought that I would wait until after a few mods.

I brought it from this forum (http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51142)

I feel that the existing stock turbo on 15psi is a bit slow, so that needs to go. It makes 170kw atw currently (or should I say. last dyno) My current idea is the following:

ST205 CT20b
    Aftermarket 650cc-700cc injectors
    walbro 255 pump
    tune

200kw atw possible with this setup? I'd say the turbo would max out about there?

Glen
    Last edited by jazz9; 21-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Default Re: ST185 Upgrades

One more question that I had was that the car seems to have very little front end grip. When pushed hard, it seems to understeer more than expected.

I was thinking that the geometry may be out. What is a good camber to run ? I'm thinking that it may be the cause.

I wonder what the rear swaybar is set to ... mabe a bit tighter on the adjustable sway bar?

The comparison cars are my mitsubishi gto, mates S2000, 88 Lancer 4WD and EVO3.

Glen

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: ST185 Upgrades (turbo + suspension)

hey, best to ask these q's in the dedicated gt4 thread in the general car section.

you won't need 650cc inj's just get some stock gen3 3sgte 540cc inj and get them cleaned etc.

i thnk cuts made 200rwkw with his rebuilt gen3 and stock inj's with ct20b pushing out 20psi or so.

thanks for that info, I'll look around for the 540cc injectors... I wonder how long it will take to find the turbo / injectors from a 205 :S

it'shit and miss, some times they come up heaps and it's hard to sell them, other times not so often.

yer ... guess I should do a WTB.

What does everyone think about the combo? Should I go bigger?

Glen

What would this turbo be like ?

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=63590

Good? Bad? Bolt on?

it's got the single entry housing so you'd either need to get a gen1 3sgte manifold to make it work or fit the twin entry housing which would ruin it. most hiflow ct26's i've come across have too big a comp wheel for the tiny AR of the exhaust housing.

best to get a "ct20b" or an adapter for a garret turbo.

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

or just a proper steam pipe turbo manifold, and run what ever turbo you want...

for good street/mid range GT28R & RS spring to mind... both will outflow and outperform any of the factory style setups...

a GT28R on my mates 3sgte useable boost/torque can be delivered under 2000rpm... and has no problems cracking 190fwkw (in a GT'2') on a megre 15psi...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

CT20B + 540cc injectors are your easiest upgrade. Any other turbo upgrade will require either a new manifold, or an adaptor of sorts.

Suspension wise, it's already got Koni adjustable and white line springs. Last wheel alignment it had was when the new wheels went on (~2 years ago). Though it wasn't driven for one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLG
    It's a good system in theory, but it's fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by mattysshop View Post
    or just a proper steam pipe turbo manifold, and run what ever turbo you want...

for good street/mid range GT28R & RS spring to mind... both will outflow and outperform any of the factory style setups...

a GT28R on my mates 3sgte useable boost/torque can be delivered under 2000rpm... and has no problems cracking 190fwkw (in a GT'2') on a megre 15psi...

agree'd a good mani and BB turbo are best. but obviously will cost you more.

however if your the kind of person most of us here are you'll soon want more power, so if you got a T3 mani made up now and a BB turbo then it'll be easier to upgrade to a larger turbo when you get that naging feeling your car isnt "fast" anymore.

matty, do you have a dyno of your mates gt2860rs? it's what i'm using too. would be interested to see how it goes with the 3sgte.

Yup, the not fast enough bug is bad... this is my daily driver - so im not going anything too large. The reason that I wanted bolt on is that the exhaust - intake - intercooler - oil lines - water lines all would need modifing and that isn't where I want to go.

I think I'll look for a CT20b + 540's to sort out the speed.

Just need some advise on the front end grip, is there a suspension tuning guide / setup to follow for gt4's ? Or just do the normal awd stuff?

Glen

a few have listed their susp settings in the dedicated gt4 thread. dunno what page on tho. enjoy digging.

i'd say spectre had already put a rear sway bar on yes? is it adjustable?

I might spend some time tonight going through it. The sway bar is adjustable but I'll have to wait until the weekend to find out what it is set too.

I'm hoping one setting higher might help.

Glen

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Ive got freshly cleaned & flow tested 540's and a gen3 fuel rail i need to sell if youre interested...
    The gen3 rail is needed as well, as the gen2 rail had a smaller bore and didnt flow as much fuel.

Stopping these cars from understeering and moving to a more neutral grip isnt an easy task