Thread: RA23 Brake and Suspension Upgrade Options

Big Fella Grease Monkey

Default RA23 Brake and Suspension Upgrade Options

Hi there guys and girls

Well i have got back intothe swing of things and have the spark back to get into my RA23.

The main area of focus that i have at the moment is doing an upgrade to the suspension and brakes.

Im just curious on peoples views here, what they have done or what the best options there are of going to? I have looked into the Hopper Stoppers kits but frankly dont really want to go that far in price but if it has to be done the so be it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Default Re: RA23 Brake and Suspension Upgrade Options

i suppose the 1st question wil be "what are you going to use the car for"?

if std daily driver, there's heaps of info in search ie.
    - ra6o/65 vented disc and calipers, which require 15" wheels and up
    -then peugeot disc with maybe rx7 or r31 calipers or Hilux.
    there a few disc options.

Suspension wise, coil overs or std struts, with adjustable shocks and sway bars to suit yr required application.

i know this is simply answered stuff, as i too am looking at futhering my knowledge on this subject.

subscribed.

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Good street package - King Lows, KYB shocks front and rear, whiteline sway bars. Put some RT132/xt130 corona front stuts into it which gives better brake caliper and then put some good brake pads into it. A MA70 supra brake master cylinder will finish it off nicely.

Then if you want to develop it more, look at koni shocks or KYB AGX. Upgrade the brake caliper to the hilux one and put a peugeot vented disc which is well detailed in other parts of this forum.

Taking it further again you could go coil overs or s13 silvia gear which is also well detailed in the forum
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Big Fella Grease Monkey

Its basically going to be for weekend driving(as shes my pride and joy)

Do you guys no what key words i can use to search on these forums? Tried a few things but not really getting anything, or do you know of anyones members rides that i can look into?

With the upgrade to the 23 how simple or dificult would you guys say it is to do? Anything that one should be whery of?

Cheers

Putting springs and shocks into a 23 is as simple as any other car, assuming you have a bit of skill and the correct tools - jack, jack stands, spring compressors, spanners and sockets.

Its not a difficult job if you take your time.

As for searching - try "shocks ra23" and "shocks ra28" - that brought up lots to have a look at. This one is one of the best to look at:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...ht=shocks+ra28
    Now - RA23-WRX

Big Fella Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRA23 View Post
    Good street package - King Lows, KYB shocks front and rear, whiteline sway bars. Put some RT132/xt130 corona front stuts into it which gives better brake caliper and then put some good brake pads into it. A MA70 supra brake master cylinder will finish it off nicely.

Then if you want to develop it more, look at koni shocks or KYB AGX. Upgrade the brake caliper to the hilux one and put a peugeot vented disc which is well detailed in other parts of this forum.

Taking it further again you could go coil overs or s13 silvia gear which is also well detailed in the forum
    SilverRA23 you have the first set up in your car dont you? I have been looking all over the net and i think i stumbled apon one of your old threads!

Any chance i might get a couple of pictures of your set up to see what it looks like?

Cheers

My set up is King Lows all round.. KYB's in the rear, Koni's in the front. Will be Koni's in the rear too once I get one repaired, and I run the RT132 front strut housings and a supra master cylinder. It stops and turns well.

No picture of the suspension.. its literally a yellow spring sitting in the standard Toyota strut. My whiteline swaybars arent fitted yet either.

Whole car build thread is at http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=25920
    Now - RA23-WRX

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I got King Supers on all four corners and... and... I can't remeber the shocks. Beefed up front sway bar and a rear sway bar fitted. I got it all written down somewhere, and sure theres' some pics in my thread ride, but being a big thread not sure where.

Hoppers Stoppers with slotted discs on the front. No need for different struts with this upgrade, but need to be sure any 15inch or smaller diameter rim will clear the calipers - especially Simmons wheels.

Handles like she's on rails and stops on a dime.

seeyuzz
    river

PS: Here are some pics of underneath the car. It was for showing the exhaust/fuel install, but you can see the suspension stuff.... http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...=24768&page=24
    Last edited by river; 12-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Big Fella Grease Monkey

Hey guys

Thanks for all the info its much appreciated, ok well it looks like the corona RT132 are the most popular to convert to, but reading around they seem to be pretty hard to find. Do you guys know of any other struts that can be used?

The whiteline sway bar is the way to go as well, looking at them on the net and on here alot of people are using them.

Cheers

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue23 View Post
    Thanks for all the info its much appreciated, ok well it looks like the corona RT132 are the most popular to convert to, but reading around they seem to be pretty hard to find. Do you guys know of any other struts that can be used?
    XT130 are the same. Find one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLG
    It's a good system in theory, but it's fucked.