Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4AGZE - EA Falcon Pulley Mod

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGZE - EA Falcon Pulley Mod

yeah ive got to write a follow up to this.. im not happy with the results so the pulley is coming off today.

Oberst Koi-Master Backyard Mechanic

Decided there will be 2 options...

Get another charger.

Change the pulley, or try and see if an airconditioning repair place was fix the clutch assembly, if the pulley can be taken off relatively easy, compared with say replacing the whole charger...

I guess the good thing about replacing the charger is you can make sure there is a good seal between all the pipes as you replace them with new gaskets etc.

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

i have played with this mod a long time ago when i first got my aw11 and was not pleased with it, maybe initially theres the great feeling but intake temps on a full time spinning rootes blower are nasty enough to screw up your motor with the first thing that goes wrong... and thats despite the fact of busting superchargers fairly common. ive since fitted and sc14 and made airflow improvements in other places, it rocks for a cheap good reliable upgrade..

ive also wiritten an sc14 install guide, if anyones interested chase me up

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

Well I suspect my problems (other the temp related) were purely as a result of a stuffed charger..

When I got the charger I put the falcon pulley onto it has no.. ie ZERO oil in it. I figured perhaps it had been sat upside down for a long period of drained out the breater. As it hasn’t been used for quite some time.

So I refilled it with oil and away we went. It worked fine although a bit noisy. The charger had bearing rattle but wasn’t too bad.. this rattle got quickly worse over the space of a few days. I removed the charger on the figuring it was stuffed and found again it was flush out of oil.

Im guessing the bearings are flogged out.. hence noisy and also the oil loss.

Ive not got my original charger which is in very good nic and its running perfectly and quietly. So im back on the path getting myself a 175mm crank pulley for the moment.. then it'll probably be aftermarket management followed by an sc14.. either that or 145mm pulley and sc14 before I go aftermarket management... well for the moment the 175 is going in and ill see how it pans out from there.

edit:
    Oh adsport how do you find the Sc14 goes without the ABV in place ? does it work ok or are there temperature/vacuum/other issues ?

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

without the ABV it idles a bit chunky , its not like it makes it hard to idle or it stalls at all or anything... i even had no ABV with overboosted sc12 on there and the motor idled ok... as far as im concerned it works fine.

im also still on stock management, the 14 makes 0.9 bar on standard GZE crank pulley and standard supercharger pulley its been running like this for over a year. ive had it on a dyno to check AFR and i was still within stock management fuelling tables, ive actually pulled some fuel out of the map via safc. im not running the fuel VSV either. on idle it overfuels a bit. ive actually got enough fuel so that i can tune the safc to dump fuel off throttle at high revs and i can pop flames on demand

theres a whole thing about fuelling maps on the stock afm management they arent meant to be able to cope past 16psi so i wouldnt go pushing too much boost through it before you get management. just the 0.9 (13 or so psi) bar i get from it is a good kick in the pants.