Thread: 3tgte to 2tg

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3tgte to 2tg

hey guys ive done a search but cant find anything clear what would be needed to remove a 3tgte from a ta22 and install a 2tg?
    thanks in advance

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Default Re: 3tgte to 2tg

What's wrong with the 3t? Is the 2tg efi or carby?
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

cant hav the 3tgte because of p plates not sure on wat the 2tg will be yet. I may be able to get a a ta22 rather cheap for the condition but would hav to remove the 3tgte and would like to replace it with a 2tg

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Not sure of the rules down there mate but you may be jumping from the frying pan into the fire as neither are original engines for the Celica. really check into it before doing anything.
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

om nom nom Backyard Mechanic CheeseBiscuits's Avatar

Well the 2TG is kind of original (ta22 GT etc)... Dunno if the boys in blue would allow it though.

I'm with ricey. Check with your local RTA to see what they say.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

In vic the rules are no turbos and no 5l V8 on your P's or at least they used to be. If the car is register with the engine, and the engine is running happily, I would just remove the turbo and put a 2t/3t exhaust manifold on for street use and then bolting on the turbo for track days untill you are off your P's. If you do the exhaust sytem such that it can be swaped easy.

or

You could just grind or bog up the rocker cover, not run or hide the intercooler (paint it black etc) and put lots of heat whielding around the turbo to hide and then drive sensible on the street.

Roger

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

Don't know what your laws are down there but if I was you I would just get an exception and drive it. Or buy it and put it in the shed until you can drive it. Or rego in your parents name and if you get pulled over say you car broke down and you had to borrow it from your parents. Most cops won't pull over a 22 unless you are being really stupid. The cops seam to like them and leave you alone for some reason
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by 3jcelica View Post
    In vic the rules are no turbos and no 5l V8 on your P's or at least they used to be. If the car is register with the engine, and the engine is running happily, I would just remove the turbo and put a 2t/3t exhaust manifold on for street use and then bolting on the turbo for track days untill you are off your P's. If you do the exhaust sytem such that it can be swaped easy.

or

You could just grind or bog up the rocker cover, not run or hide the intercooler (paint it black etc) and put lots of heat whielding around the turbo to hide and then drive sensible on the street.

Roger
    are you sure about that? i dont live in your state but i thought it was any engine swap other then the original type was deemed unsuitable for a person on there Ps.

im 21, and i live in tassie so we dont have any of those restrictions down here. i had plenty enough fun/trouble in old corollas. its really not that long of a wait and if you have a turbo car to be silly in then get the old man to tow it to the track for you. then when your off your Ps you can drive it on the street...? just think about it young people...

on this subject. i think if you where to swap to a 2tg (assuming its all stock or there bouts) getting into strife would be fairly unlikely.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

I'm in the exact same situation mate, i have a 3TGTE in my ta23, and i'm just about to start the process of changing to the 2TG.

In QLD the blue plate is the problem with running these engines, sure you can hide the turbo etc, But they can see LA1 on the blue plate and know it's not legal for a P-Plater.

As 2TG's were an original option for LT models, you can put these in without blue plating them.

caam, wouldnt an exemption be easier then an engine conversion?

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

You need a legit reason to gain an exemption, I had one as i was working as a light vehicle mechanic but now that's fallen through and they've told me to get fked for every other reason i could come up with to get an exemption.

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

There has been a few times this questions has popped up around toymods and i've tried to take as much in as possible because im about to go on my p's and im gonna chuck a
    2tg into mine (mine still has the 2t). From my knowledge you can put a 2tg in because it isnt classed as an engine conversion because it was a dealer option to have the 2tg put in. It has the same displacement (1600cc), I remember someone said that its legal because they came in GT's which were a different class of ta22's... not a different model. So if someone was to put a 4age in (still 1600cc) that would be classed as an engine conversion because it has more power stock then a 2t and is from a different model.

Seeing that you have a 3tgte in yours, i would keep it, i'd still drive around but not be a hoon because it has a turbo, but you can take the turbo of and chuck extractors from a
    2tg or 2t, but make sure to get 4-2-1 extractors, there better for that low-mid range power. BTW where abouts in Vic are you, i've seen a few p-platers getting round in celica's, just wondering if any of them are on toymods.

Cheers, Callum

Did you explain to them that the ta22 with a 3tgte has a lower power to wait ratio then a commodore. And it's better for the environment.

From past experience. 3tgte without turbo doesn't run very well. For the stuffing around you might aswell buy a different car to drive for 3 years

out of boredom ive been reading through the p plate laws and as far as i can see. easy ways to get an exemption is as follows

1. get parents to buy the vehicle you wish to drive
    2. destroy current car in unforseen circumstances
    3. apply for exemption due to it being the only car available to you

or just drive it sensibily and if they pull you aver say you didnt know lol

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

I'd buy a 2TG head and swap it over together with a set of extractors.

The head is a direct fit, you could leave the 3T GTE wiring there for later, just hook up the fuel line to the 2TG carbs.

I wouldn't both going EFI.

Cheers,
    Simon