Thread: Mysterious things happened on my 3TC. can any one help me?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Mysterious things happened on my 3TC. can any one help me?

My 3TC is running on 86mm pistons on stock rods and the block was decked when I started to rebuild this engine. I’m running on Datsun L28 ECU utilizing Vane AFM as air flow metering. Injectors are 550cc/min.

I’m able to start the engine several times at the first kick and it gives rough idle with plenty of black smoke. This happened before I properly connect the vacuum line to the stock fuel regulator. After that I connected the vacuum line to the fuel regulator and the engine gives me response when I slightly touch the throttle. Everything seems to be good in shape.

2 days ago, I won’t be able to get it started. It cranked but no sign of power stroke. So away I went to check the ignitions system. Everything is seems to be ok but I still replaced all the ignitions system such as spark plugs, ignition wires and 2TG distributor cap. Now I tested the ignition by touching a spare plug on the chassis and the spark can travel from the plug to the chassis about 10mm distance. I assume there is nothing wrong with the ignition system.

Yet, the problem still remains. Cranked but no sign of power stroke.

I’ve check fuel supply and the initial fuel pump pressure was 23psi. I can view wet surface on the pistons so I’m pretty sure that nothing wrong with the fuel supply side.
    I’ve using blower to blow out the petrol in the combustion chambers before I test to crank the engine again and again and again. But it still refused to start.

I confirmed that the engine is in the right TDC but the engine just won’t start and this make me pretty worry.

Motor oil pressure was around 20psi at idle.

Just found a minor sign that something is going on. My new spark plug ground lead was bended specially piston #1. My compression ratio was well below 8.5. The gap was only left about less than half of the original gap. They are Denso W16EX-U.

Until the time I post this threat, the car still sleep in silent.

Is 22PSI fuel pressure was kind of too low?
    What would have caused my spark plug ground lead bended?
    Any one can help me to get out with these mysterious problems?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Mysterious things happened on my 3TC. can any one help me?

Lack of fire might be the dizzi is 180 degrees out or plug leads are wrong?

check all plugs to see if others are bent or gapped correctly - also closely look at the arm that comes out over the electrode and see if it looks like anything has hit/scratched it?

thanks for reply..
    no, there are no signs of the spark plugs lead being hit by something.. it can started up for few times already before so i'm think there is nothing wrong with the dizzy..

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Do all the lead holes of the 3t cap match exactly the same as the 2t.

Ie are they in the same spots too each other?

20 psi fuel pressure does sound low.

22psi is all the fuel pressure i have.. its a 1GGTE in tank fuel pump.. do you guys think i should sort the fuel pump out first?

tried to make sure that my fuel pressure regulator that is causing the problem.
    i clamped the return hose(after fuel regulator), the pressure does rises.. i've adjust the clamping force and i got 40psi. tried to crank it but still won't able to start it..