Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: The 18R-GTE reference manual ...

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: The 18R-GTE reference manual ...

Last time I tried pulling pistons through the bottom, I couldn't get past the castings in the block. Can't remember what motor it was though. And pulling from the bottom would require removing the crank wouldn't it?? I think it to be easier to pull the motor out, put it on a stand, and do it from the top.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Hi,

i seem to recall the same thing on the last 18rg i pulled apart. Pistons wouldn't come out through the bottom even without the crank.

I'll check tonight as i have a few spare blocks......

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I have never been able to get even standard pistons out through the bottom ond of an 18R block.

Omegaman, are you sure that you did that with an 18R?
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Grease Monkey MnToyGuy's Avatar

Well I finally have some weekends ahead I'll be home through April, as opposed to being gone more than home April through November. Time to get back on the engine.

I need to start fitting sensors and plugging extra holes and finish my throttle linkage to use the Supra TB. That and learn about EFI and Turbo'ing lol.

I'm going MSII with Ford Edis. Looking for streetable/reliable performance with low to modest boost. I'll start low and work up, but the car is not caged so chassis stiffness is going to be an issue as torque increases. Running AE86 front suspension, LSD and brakes on all 4 corners, W58 tranny. Rear end will be changed to a MKI Supra.

So I know nothing of specing out a Turbo for the job. I want something fast spooling. HP will be no more than 250, I'll probably be more than happy hitting 200, so boost will be no more than 12 psi, more likely closer to < 10.

Any recommendations?

I (believe) I want oiled roller bearing, internal wastegate, water cooled (T3/T4?). Please correct me or add to the list. I've tried to read up online, but can't find much info on "Turbo Basics" beyond very basic theory. If anyone has a good resource, please direct me. What AR should I be looking for.

Engine is more than ready, with forgies, head and main studs, PnP, stress relieved and shot peened rods, new everything......

You want about a .63 AR for fast spooling. The Garrett GT2876R or GT2876RS (Disco Potato) sounds like what you want, and will deliver the power you want with a fairly quick spool. You could check out the smaller number GT series Garretts for quicker spool, but you need to check what kind of power they will create before they saturate.

Read up on turbo basics in the Garrett website, or if you can get a hold of a book called "21st Century Performance", that is also a good read.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Very good info, read all I could find on Garrett' site!! Thanks Owen!

I ran through all the calcs on this page: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...Tech%20103.pdf

Does anyone know the VE (or roughly) for our RG's using the RGEU mani and plenum and BSFC? I guessed at 90% and 0.6.

Given that and usuing a 7500 max RPM and Intake Air Temp at a conservative 120°F and 2 psi pressure loss, we are right at 12psi to hit 250 hp and 7psi to hit 200hp.

Coincidentally, I have everything in a spreadsheet, so if anyone wants a copy, PM me your e-mail. You can play with all the variables.
    Last edited by MnToyGuy; 18-12-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    I have never been able to get even standard pistons out through the bottom ond of an 18R block.

Omegaman, are you sure that you did that with an 18R?
    No, it was with an 18rgeu, i remember also dropping some of the steering to accommodate the sump movement around the oil pump also.

Well we have a complete unit! I'll test this weekend with a drill and bucket of oil. Any volunteers to test on an engine?

You'll note he toleranced the spacer tighter than Asco did.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Tighter spacer is no problem.
    How are the clearances for the standard measurements?

If I had an old motor to test it on I would. We only have a freshly built one.
    If the specs are right, I'll buy two of them now, no need for testing.

Omegaman, removing the steering cross rod is needed to shift the sump while in the car.
    I still can't figure out how you removed the pistons through the bottom, I've tried this with the engine out and couldn't do it.

Did the pistons have lower profile skirts than normal and did you tilt them to get them out? That is the only way I can see it as being possible.

The standard bore is bigger than the space between the main bearing journals isn't it?
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

What about Owen? I think he's pulling his motor down over Xmas. Not sure if he'd like to use his rebuilt engine as a guinea-pig though.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

I can use it as a guinea pig (There are strong intentions to build a bomb proof bottom end even if this one just needs rings). Thus far the standard pump has performed well, but I intend on boring out my turbo oil feed restrictor orifice once the new pump arrives to add more oil to the cooling process.

And as for pulling sumps from the bottom, etc etc, I really do think (having done that before), that it is easier for me to hook the motor onto my block and tackle, lift it, move the car back, and enjoy peforming the pull down on an engine stand. So much easier and better for my back.
    Cheers, Owen

User Conversion King

hey owen,

sounds a bit dissapointing with the engine...

did you inspect the old gasket, head and block? any evidence of combustion through the gasket? i cant think why something would be wrong but did you put a rule over the head and block?

seems even more unlikely than the obvious but cylinder -> head oil drain would make blowby. this however doesnt explain the comp on cylinders 2 and 3.
    hello

Brett, there weren't signs of carbon tracking/blowout in the gasket on either side. The fact the problem remained with a new gasket that was well coated with hylomer kinda rules that out. We will see what the pistons have to say before going further into speculation.

If you are down this way any time between chrissy and new year, give me a yell and you can come see if you can find something I missed. I thought about it being turbo related, but that doesn't explain the low compression on 2 and 3 either. Rings/pistons does. With the failure being during the run in period and coinciding with an overboost, it is quite likely 2 and 3 (which share the same injector output) suffered the same fate. There are no signs of consistent leanout.
    Cheers, Owen

User Conversion King

how does it run apart from the blowby?

going north in the next few days.... might be heading past mid january.

11psi isnt that hardcore.... how did the car feel with that much boost?

the_chuckster is selling his 18r-t gear for cheap
    hello

Runs a little rougher than what it did just prior to the blowby beginning. Probably because 1 and 4 are igniting properly, and 2 and 3 aren't. Still makes good power. With the 11ish PSI boost it felt really good for a highly conservative tune. Certainly held you in your seat nicely. But I fear it was a bit too much for a motor originally designed to run without boost.
    Cheers, Owen