Thread: ke20 3T.2tgeu head conversion

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default ke20 3T.2tgeu head conversion

Hi everyone I have a 1973 model ke20 2 door. I've done a bit of research and decided to do the 2tgeu conversion, a guy just down the road from me has a ke30 2 door with the engine already in and ill be taking it out and putting it in mine.
    I'm aware you have to chance/mod the clutch to hydraulic. also move the master along out of the way. also modding the engine and gearbox mounts wont be a problem as we're doing all the work in a fabrication shop with a hoist. i need to know what to do about the tailshaft because the last thing i want to do is pay to get one made up. I am also willing to pay someone with experience to help out for a day this coming weekend.. The engine already has a t50 bolted up to it.. ill post pics soon.

Default Re: ke20 3T.2tgeu head conversion

well i've fully stripped the engine bay back ready for a respray + got the engine here. still need to pull the hydro clutch setup from the 30.

Does anyone know if the ke30 2 door engine cross member front end will bolt under the ke20 easily, would be awesome as i wouldnt have to mod the mounts..? **

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

have a read through my ke20 link with the 3tc in it below it could cover most of your Q's ive been running as it is in ther for 3 or more years now.

i dont beleave that the ke30 crossmembers will bolt up to a ke20 frame as the 30 is wider, thats not to say it can be made to fit.

ive not had to move the brake master and ive used the stock ke20 tail shafts every time till i upgraded.

dan
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

thanks for that. im just test fitting it now and i did some measurements and the exhaust will foul on the firewall too high to clear it. im wondering if you have to either get a custom manifold made up or move the engine mounts further forward. my mate suggested cutting the firewall @_@
    Ive already got the engine mounts to the right degrees. Cut a v out of them and hit them down then welded them up. HALP

ignore12345
    Last edited by ben20; 16-01-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Is it illegal to run it without a sway bar ( only temporary) ? Ive got the engine sitting in the bay just test fitting it. Its got twin Dellorto carbs and the corner of one of the air cleaners has been pushed in a bit to clear the brake master on the previous car it was in (ke30). I have angled the mounts from about 58 Degrees which the 4k was at, to 50. So now I'm thinking of getting it in, bolting the gearbox cross member in and marking how far forward the engine mounts have to be moved. Take it out change the mounts put it in there. get it all going and then get a sway bar done in a few weeks. Is this the right way to go about it?
    Thanks in advance, ben.

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

I'm pretty sure you can use a TA22 swaybar in place of your KE20 bar, but have yet to confirm this. Should be able to pick a stock bar up for free from someone up there to try it out.

Let me know if you do.
    Cam mountain I feel different from the ordinary

Hard work paid off