Thread: Brake upgrade for Crown

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Lightbulb Brake upgrade for Crown

Hi I have a 1976 Toyota Crown Wagon, currently it has single piston calliper solid disc's on the front. I have replaced the disc's with slotted some time ago but now Id like to upgrade to twin piston as engine upgrade maybe in the future and I want the old girl to stop.. I read that these Crown's could be ordered from the factory with twin piston callipers, if anyone has performed this upgrade any help would be apprieciated... Love the old Crown's...

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: Brake upgrade for Crown

The twin piston calipers are the same as RT104 calipers. When you compare the pad surface area and the fact the discs are solid, it's more of a downgrade.

Pretty sure later models have vented discs...www.dba.com.au is your friend.

Ok thanks for that, I just thought twin pistons would be needed to gain compliance, however I went to a car show on the weekend and saw a v8 sigma with single piston fronts, the piston was half the size of the one on the crown. I might just see how the brakes go once the engine upgade is done..

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice spencer's Avatar

You really want to get some vented disks in there I've over heated my brakes in my ms63 several times. Your wagon is a 80 series? should be a bolt up swap for the vented setup from a ms112

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Your best bet is to look out for an ms112 or real late ms85 being sold cheap. These had four wheel discs and vented rotors up front. It is a good upgrade because it all bolts in.

Remove the entire diff assembly and the entire front stub axle assembly and the brake proportioning valve from donor car. The only change that needs to be made is the tailshaft diff flange is different. So you need to change that or use your old diff.

Depending on what engine you are fitting, this upgrade will be all you will need. I did this conversion on my 76 Crown wagon when I put the 1UZ in it.

BTW there is a Crown owners thread on here, some pics of the car would be nice.

Cheers,
    Shane

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Yeah for simple upgrade is the MS112 stuff, i think you could even use the front from a MS123,

How big do you want to go?? there is a HQ holden upgrade which the toyman75 runs on his MS53, My father and I both run PBR twin piston kits on 300 and 330mm discs on MS5X's. I've gone bigger again to a 355mm with a multi piston caliper but this is over kill.

Stitt
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

The MS123 stuff is a bit different.

The lower control arm is longer and the stub axle is cast differently to position the lower ball joint closer into the disc. I did have the MS123 stuff on my car initially but the geometry was out a bit. Mainly toe out on turns was wrong. That's why I went back to the MS112 front assembly. It may have been overcome using the MS123 drag link but I didn't have one to try at the time but I had the other brakes.

BTW the big UZS131 discs and calipers bolt straight up to MS123 stub axles.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

no worries thanks for the info shane
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Quote Originally Posted by mark2 View Post
    Hi I have a 1976 Toyota Crown Wagon, currently it has single piston calliper solid disc's on the front. I have replaced the disc's with slotted some time ago but now Id like to upgrade to twin piston as engine upgrade maybe in the future and I want the old girl to stop.. I read that these Crown's could be ordered from the factory with twin piston callipers, if anyone has performed this upgrade any help would be apprieciated... Love the old Crown's...
    BTW what engine are you thinking for the swap????

Thank you to everyone that has posted comments. Im abit older than most of you id think and this is the first time ive used anything like this forum.. Id like to drop in a Lexus v8 and auto, to do this id buy a front cut and remove everything I need.. At the moment it has the old 6 and a 5 speed behind it, the car is in great condition for its age and Id like abit of a sleeper if possible.. By the sounds of it a MS112 front upgrade sounds like the cheapest option. I dont want a fire breather just a nice cruiser with the v8 burble... I have only ever played with early Failanes in the past so this is completly different.. Thanks again for the tech info and if anyone has any stub assemblies for sale please let me know.. Thanks Mark2

Is this the wagon that's on carpoint at the moment???

A "Lexus" v8, 1UZFE, sounds like a great idea. They're really Toyota V8s. You need to find a Toyota Crown UZS131 front cut to start with though or you will be in trouble with things like mounts, manifolds and sump. Just to start with. For inspiration here's one I prepared earlier.

Hi thanks for the picture, thats what i'd like, standard on the outside with alittle more punch under the bonnet... Yes I bought the yellow one on carsales three years ago, I bought it from the original owner in Queensland, transported it down to Sydney and put it through rego. The guy who did the blue slip said he had 2 guys go over it to try and find a fault, but both failed, passed no problems. I then replaced the springs and shocks, inner and outer tie rods just to tighten it up alittle. I sold it 8 months later to the guy I recently bought it back from. I only sold it as it was getting to much attention from certain people and I had to leave it at a train station every day.. Now it can sit in the garage awaiting to be modified...I always said that if it was for sale again I'd buy it back, although I dont really like the wheels, but now it does has a 5 speed gearbox instead of the auto....

I'm glad you got the chance to buy it back. I know what you mean about the wheels. They look nice but somehow they just don't look right. I think it actually looked better with the stock wheel covers. Mine it identical inside to yours, but it is cream on the outside.

This is my most recent picture.

It goes real well with the 1UZ in it. Not a fire breather, but plenty of power for what I want to do with it and it uses less petrol than the old 4M.