Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microtech VS EMS stinger

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Default Microtech VS EMS stinger

Very close to purchasing some aftermarket managment for my AW11 GZE, and got a couple of questions for anyone who might know.

On paper, the EMS Stinger looks superior to the Microtech (mainly in that it has 4 outputs, compared to one for the Microtech)
    It also cost similar. So why is the Microtech so much more widely used? I just thought I'd check before I bought one or the other...

RM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Microtech VS EMS stinger

the microtech lt10 now has 2 outputs and one extra input

to answer the question - id say microtech are used more due to the fact that there are more tuners for the microtech and greater support (due to this wider use) - anyone will tell you the strength of the aftermarket ecu lies in the tune, so if you dont have a reputable tuner doing the work then you wont gain any real benefit from it -

Ghetto Goodness Automotive Encyclopaedia Ghetto-AW11's Avatar

Find a reasonably close tuner who is renowned to be the shit, find out what he tunes, or what the majority of places nearby tune and get that.
    Homebrew, triumph triple, turbo aw11

Well, my 2 main local tuners with a good rep (OvaBoost and Hyperdrive) sell EMS and Autronic. I can't afford an Autronic (much as I'd love it), so that leaves me with EMS. He considers EMS to be superior, but both shops will happily tune MicroTech as well.

RM.

Sadistically Perverse Chief Engine Builder Disturbed1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto-AW11
    Find a reasonably close tuner who is renowned to be the shit, find out what he tunes, or what the majority of places nearby tune and get that.

haha thats his problem but - theres no such thing in wa... better off driving car over east then getting computer then driving back, better still get a microtech then u can tune the thing yourself

Ok, found an EMS 'Dualsport' forsale cheap. I gather it's an old model...but the GZE is an old motor...I know I might get a couple more HP with a new one, but is there any real reason (economy ETC) why this isn't a perfectly viable option?

RM

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Cheap and 100x better than a microtech.
    http://www.adaptronic.com.au/
    ROYAL DRIFT
    est 2003

speek to mick at ovaboost he loves both microtech and ems - he will advise u which to buy out of the two and the pros and cons between them

after chatting to steve (x sst) about ecu options for 7mgte - he advised me to go for haltech purley cause toyotas use a different type of cam sensor to nissans and stuff and that haltech offer best drivability,, and this comes from the person who would sell ya a wolf3d at the drop of a hat cause hes renowned to be the best tuner in australia for them

Thanks for the replies. How much is the Adaptronic, and can people around here tune them?

I'll be speaking to Mick tomorrow, he seems to know his stuff about the EMS range.

Cheers, RM.

place up in joondalup called.. ummm is big ems tuner for alot of wannaroo cars and stuff.. ahh cant think of their name will get back to ya

i think its $990 retail for the adaptronic. I seriously recommend u enquire about them, even if u only send an email to them regarding WA resellers and your application. From what ive seen 1st hand i wouldnt be putting my mircotech out if it was on fire, id let it burn and get one of those.
    ROYAL DRIFT
    est 2003

Well, tell you what. I'll take that dodgy, dodgy Microtech off your hands, leaving you free to buy an Adaptronic! And you won't have that pesky burnt plastic to scrape off your car.

But seriously, I'll look into it. Seems like a great idea, self-tuning ECUs are everyones dream. In reality (not theory) do you think it could actually do a better job than the dyno tuner? And does it self-tune spark as well?

RM.

cant remember its on winton av in business centre its three letters that make up the name so if ya good at using the net perhaps worth a look cause i remember chatting to them about the benefits of the 8860 over the 4424

It will still need tuning and setting up. but it does alot more than the current mircotech's ever will. From what the tuner has told me its basically a cheap motec, not as good, but far superior to alot of other ecu's out there and definitly best "bang for your buck".

I dont want u to think im trying to sell em, i mean i have a mircotech (and it runs the car fine), but from what ive seen and heard, they seem to be the goods.
    ROYAL DRIFT
    est 2003