Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TECCWA November Event - Navigation Run - Saturday November 13th - 9am

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Default TECCWA November Event - Navigation Run - Saturday November 13th - 9am

This is our first foray into this style of event. You’ll need a car with a full tank of fuel and a working odometer or trip computer (or a GPS that can give you distances), a driver that can follow instructions and a navigator that can give read, interpret and give instructions to the driver! The actual navigation has been set at beginner level with all directions being given out in “tulip map” style, so easy to follow. For those of you wanting to participate, please read the "Tulip Map Basics" below. Start point will be the car park at the western end of E Shed Markets on Victoria Quay in Fremantle at 9am. Finish location will have food and drinks available for purchase, so don’t forget to bring some spare cash too.

Free For TECCWA members, $10 per car for non members. Confirmed RSVP's to me directly please on [email protected], with a cut off date of November 11th.

Clint

Tulip Map Basics
    Tulip Maps are individual map instructions indicating the direction to be taken when following a route. When used individually they give directions as to what to do at road junctions given a prescribed distance, and when used in series will guide the vehicle through to an intended destination. To use Tulip Maps, we always assume the vehicle is approaching the map from the bottom of the box. Within that box will then be instructions of which direction to proceed in at the road feature by following the arrow as per the diagram. For ease of use for our upcoming November navigation run, the distances will be in both Kilometres and Miles, and we’ll further break them down to both Individual distances from last instruction, and combined/total distance from the start point. It’s worth taking notes as you travel along the route – street names and landmarks, in case you get lost and need to make your way back part way. Typically, navigation stages directed by Tulip Maps will also give an instruction for every road junction encountered, even if it does not alter the cars intended direction – for example side streets passed. When considering the upcoming TECCWA Navigation Run on November 13th - due to the fact that the course was set by road map and recollection 2500Kms away from the event location and not an actual transverse of the course – not every road junction is mapped – only those that require an action other than driving straight ahead are listed. This both reduces the number of Tulip Maps to be read, and makes the navigation easier for our inaugural navigation event, so should have no negative impact on the day.

To give a couple of simple examples above, the Tulip map on the left indicates a right turn at a T junction. The Tulip Map on the right indicates maintaining the current course as you pass a road on the left. Developing from those maps, the next set of nine maps as shown:

Gives the following instructions:

1. Start Navigation and pass a road on the right
    2. At 0.4Kms turn left at the crossroads
    3. At 1.1Kms turn left at the T Junction
    4. At 2.3kms turn right onto the side road
    5. At 2.6Kms turn right at the crossroads
    6. At 3.7Kms turn left at the crossroads
    7. At 4.6Kms turn left into the side road
    8. At 5.0Kms turn right at the T Junction
    9. At 6.2Kms turn left at the T Junction

Official Distance
    Official Distance is a measure by which the navigation course has been set. It may be accurate to a measurement (for example - Metres) or may be innacurate either by desire or necessity. In setting the Nav Run for November, I have also driven the course to determine the distance recordings. I chose to do this my TA63 Celica and the trip meter in that car - the accuracy of that trip meter is levelled out by providing you with an official distance by which you can determine any error factor needed for your car. Usually only one Official Distance route is given, however in an attempt to familiarise you all with this new format, I have provided several which you can test out prior to the event.

The official distances for this navigation run are:

E Shed Markets, Fremantle: Start point is the give way line exiting the carpark at the western end. Turn left onto Victoria Quay Rd, then immediately left into Cliff St. Follow Cliff Street and turn left into Phillimore St. Continue past James St (on RHS) and take your next left turn into Victoria Quay Gate 2. Travel along Victoria Quay Rd then enter the E Shed Markets Carpark on left. Stop point is the first pedestrian crossing you pass in the car park. This distance is 3.0Kms

Leach Hwy, Willeton to Bull Creek: Start point is the white stop line at the traffic lights at High Road. Travel West along Leach Highway till the white stop line of the traffic lights at Bull Creek Dr, Bull Creek. This distance is 2.2Kms.

Leach Hwy, Winthrop to O'Connor: Start point is the white stop line at the traffic lights at Murdoch Drive. Travel West along Leach Highway till the white stop line of the traffic lights at Stock Road, O'Connor. This distance is 4.9Kms

High Road, Fremantle: Start point is the white stop line at the traffic lights at Carrington Street. Travel West along High Road till the white stop line of the traffic lights at Stirling Highway. This distance is 1.5Kms

Marine Pde, Cottesloe: Start point is the white give way line at the Eric Street instersection (ie, approach along Eric St and turn left onto Marine Pde). Travel South along Marine Parade till the give way line at the roundabout on Curtin Ave. This distance is 2.8Kms

Once you have traversed any of the official distance checks you will have two distance figures - the official distance, and your cars distance. To ensure you follow the navigation accurately, you then take the official distance and divide it by your car's distance, to give you an error figure, which you can then apply (error factor multiplied by official distance given at a particular point - to show you the distance your car's odometer/trip computer will read at that point too) to any official distance given to ensure you can reference distances with your car's odometer/trip computer. Don't forget to bring a calulator! Once you have your head around error calculations, you can also use them to correct any actual navigation errors you make on the day, without resetting your trip computer too.

With your new found navigation skills, we look forward to seeing you at the November Nav Run!
    Last edited by CLG; 24-10-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Old Skool Enthusiast Domestic Engineer GeneSPIDA's Avatar

Default Re: TECCWA November Event - Navigation Run - Saturday November 13th - 9am

I'm keen to do this, and nothing seems to have booked the date yet, so should be there. Just not in a Toyota.
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

TECCWA Member | Drag Run Videos

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Default Re: TECCWA November Event - Navigation Run - Saturday November 13th - 9am

I should be free for this also, hopefully in a Toyota
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Not trying to be a Carport Converter

bah can't make this Best of luck guys

Old Skool only for this Backyard Mechanic WA_TRD_83's Avatar

*expression of interest*

is this a full day event Clint? I've also got a 30th to attend to with free food and booze, so this may mean I might have to pike out early

Damo
    83 GA61 Toyota Supra XX [TRD 83] - 7MGTE Turbo-A inside
    83 KE70 Toyota Corolla - the budget build
    94 EF Ford Fairmont Ghia [FATFORD] - looks tough, goes slow
    64 Chev Impala - west coast lowrider

Yep, by the time the nav is run and done, and the disection of event there after, I reckon it will wind up around 3pmish. If that cuts into your drinking and eating time, I'll thank you in advance for running the first checkpoint of the day, so you'll be finished by 10:30ish.

Old Skool only for this Backyard Mechanic WA_TRD_83's Avatar

Looks like I might have to run the first check point of the day then...
    83 GA61 Toyota Supra XX [TRD 83] - 7MGTE Turbo-A inside
    83 KE70 Toyota Corolla - the budget build
    94 EF Ford Fairmont Ghia [FATFORD] - looks tough, goes slow
    64 Chev Impala - west coast lowrider

Forum Member

Will try and get this off work.

Should be fun!

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I'm in.

-RM

KE25 legendary Backyard Mechanic Robbo's Avatar

yep, sounds good to me!! count me in...
    !!! BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS !!!

私のトヨタはある従って速い均一死んだ人叫ぶ!

First post updated with official distance and a tutorial on using Tulip Maps. Please RSVP if you haven't already, so I know how many map booklets to make for the day.

Clint

[email protected]

Backyard Engineer Domestic Engineer airfireman1's Avatar

Clint , I will be back in Karratha for this. I also must return your call but I have been very busy since getting back from my last trip. 7 weeks away does no good for the garden or any projects.
    Dave.
    Cheers Dave

1977 RA28
    1972 TA22
    1984 Supra

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

I'm out sorry dude, will be over east for work.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

I will be in this pending co-driver - just interviewing suitable applicants now

Old Skool Enthusiast Domestic Engineer GeneSPIDA's Avatar

Clint,

Christian is checking his work roster, but in any case he'll most likely be my navigator, so it will still be 1 car between us.

Gene
    SPIDA - 1974 TA22 Celica (2TGEU 1600cc with Garrett GT25 320HP turbo) Dyno - 168.9HP at 10PSI, 14.8 sec quarter (so far)

TECCWA Member | Drag Run Videos