Thread: Dampening knock sensor

Toymods member no 341 Domestic Engineer amichie's Avatar

Default Dampening knock sensor

Has anyone tried this.

A search on the web will find many links describing how teflon tape on the threads can dampen or desensitize a knock sensor giving less knock retard under load.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: Dampening knock sensor

Does the knock sensor earth through the block ?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Does the knock sensor earth through the block ?
    Yes it does. I had mine out over the weekend with a scope on the output and it was rubbish unless the case was grounded.

A light tap with a screw driver gives a huge signal. Many volts peak to peak at about 7kHz.

I'm sure a spring washer would provide a good earth.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Surely using a spring washer would almost defeat the purpose of isolating it from the block?

Perhaps drill a small hole into the side of it and screw an earth directly to it.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

or... filter it electronically

do you knwo what the criteria for detecting knock that the ECU uses?
    is it time windowed? is it frequency and amplitude or just amplitude?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Altia ER34 GTT Domestic Engineer JetspeedCamry's Avatar

If it uses amplitude, then creating a simple attenuator would be easy as.
    If it's frequency then that becomes more of a problem, but there are circuits that can subtract either a set frequency, or a percentage based on the input frequency.
    Kind Regards,
    Kurt.

1998 ER34 ニッサン スカイラインGT- T
    RB25DET 5 Speed Manual | Blitz SE Return Flow FMIC | Greddy Profec II Spec B BC | Apexi N1 Turbo Back Exhaust

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Shouldnt the engine not knock to begin with? So if thats the case your merely speeding up the inevitable.

Spose its better to get broken engines out of the way sooner rather than later though
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Hmmmmmm... major manufacturers can deal with knock... but many of the aftermarket systems don't use a knock sensor.

The reasoning I was told.... once you begin building an engine, and you go outside the stock parameters, you change the frequeny of the knock, and so the sensor must either be changed, or calibrated to the new frequency.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Toyota mostly uses a knock sensor with mechanical resonance( with a Q of about 7). Others use broad band sensors.

Knock frequency is determined primarily by bore diameter and the sensor resonance is tuned to this frequency.

Toyota use a gating approach where the knock is sampled for a short period after ignition only. The signal I have is saturating the first amplifier stage in the ECU and I am planning on just attenuating it inside my spare ECU.

I also have a bosch broadband that I plan to mount somewhere on the block and build a simply 2 stage bandpass filter with some gain adjustment and then tweak it until it looks roughly like the factory knock sensor signal.

Cruzida. I think I will try something like that with a separate ground. Maybe just one of those loop style connector things underneath the sensor with a teflon washer.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

The Toyota sensor I measured (Gen2 3S-GE) was very obviously mechanically filtered, and quite accurately tuned to react most sensitively at a frequency that corresponded to the motor's ~86mm bore. For the electrical measurement of the sensor, I used a NIST calibrated HP 4195A Network/Spectrum Analyzer, and the plot showed a well defined inflexion, characteristic of a tuned piezoceramic resonator. I would assume all Toyota sensors from the same period are mechanically filtered / resonant tuned type.

RickyB of MRControls hosted the plot of the sensor, if you are interested to see what it looks like

http://www.mrcontrols.com/images/knock-sensor-toy-2.jpg

Here's a link to a GM sensor I measured. The part number is listed in the bottom left corner of the plot.

http://www.mrcontrols.com/images/knock-sensor-gm-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 510rob
    The Toyota sensor I measured (Gen2 3S-GE) was very obviously mechanically filtered, and quite accurately tuned to react most sensitively at a frequency that corresponded to the motor's ~86mm bore. For the electrical measurement of the sensor, I used a NIST calibrated HP 4195A Network/Spectrum Analyzer, and the plot showed a well defined inflexion, characteristic of a tuned piezoceramic resonator. I would assume all Toyota sensors from the same period are mechanically filtered / resonant tuned type.

RickyB of MRControls hosted the plot of the sensor, if you are interested to see what it looks like

http://www.mrcontrols.com/images/knock-sensor-toy-2.jpg

Here's a link to a GM sensor I measured. The part number is listed in the bottom left corner of the plot.

http://www.mrcontrols.com/images/knock-sensor-gm-2.jpg
    Thank you

I have an HP spectrum analyser in my lab also but I just used my portable tektronix digital scope as it does FFTs etc . It also does a peak frequency function and thats all I used.

I have the ECU at work today and I will put a simple voltage divider on the knock sensor input. Thankfully its capacitively coupled into the first Op Amp stage that buffers the signal. I will make variable from about 100% down to about 20% and see when I start to get error codes or my engine goes bang.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

What's the difference between a 7MGTE and a 4AGZE knock sensor?