Thread: Hunting a particular SW20 exhaust

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Hunting a particular SW20 exhaust

Hi, have been reading around trying to work out what headers and exhaust i should be putting on, And i've found some hurricane headers(i cant find any others for Sw20's) which i'm getting ceramic coated, and have since been pondering an exhaust system.

I had seen a small article on SW20 exhausts, in particular, one fabricated up for a bathurst SW20 that was used in targa tasmania, and was made by a canberra exhaust company called "roadway exhaust centre". The exhaust comprised of:
    (quote)

- 2 1/2" stainless from the headers to the cat
    - Custom made high flow cat
    - 2 1/2" pipe from the catr to the muffler
    - HSV V8 muffler with dual outlets mounted on its side
    - 2 1/2" pipes running either side through 2 resonators (hot dogs) and ending in 3" oval tips

(end quote)
    The exhaust apparently made 3KW from 2000rpm through to 6000rpm and wasn't far off 5Kw at 7000rpm, followed by a small chart showing torque increases of up to 40Nm at 3000rpm(from 260 to 300) and 30nm(from 360 to 390) at 5000rpm. comment was further made that the numbers might be better again as the conditions from after the swap were not optimal and the dyno was done with no airflow to the snorkel.

I've been in touch with the moderator of the site and the person who wrote the article is not a member any more, and no pictures were availible. I cant seem to find this roadway exhaust center, but its a bit hard as i'm interstate. I described the setup to the local exhaust places in town, they were a bit puzzled on how it all fit in, and surprise asked me for some pics (yea sure!!). I've also been on targa tasmania website with no luck (but i'm so going for a drive down there one day). The only way i could see it would fit, is if the flex pipe got buggered off and the cat was put there, which is possible as it i didnt see mention of the flex pipe in the description.

Is anyone familiar with this car, or this exhaust system, any info on it would be appreciated, as i would like to put this system together if possible, as it seems to be a good setup that keeps the twin tips appearance. Also if anyone down canberra way has heard of "roadway exhaust center" could you let me know if they are still in business, if they are, have you got their phone # ? Finally does 500nm at 6000rpm sound like an output figure from the stock bathurst SW20... It doesn't sound like it was a turbo from the description (no mention of downpipes), but maybe the engine had been worked? Got the article from here btw
    http://www.mr2club.com.au/
    if it helps to jog someones memory, but the page was down for a few weeks recently.

Any help will be appreciated, Cheers
    Trent
    NXI-44W - '95 MR2 Bathurst
    -1st(Class) - Kempsey Hillclimb
    -8th(All) - Armidale M/khana (with a BIG penalty)
    -1st, 3rd(Class) - Grafton Hillclimb
    -3rd(Class) - Grafton Hillclimb (State championship round)
    -3rd(Class) - Raleigh Raceway

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Default Re: Hunting a particular SW20 exhaust

hey dood i thought u were gonna turbo it ? if u gonna turbo it u will want a bigger zorst and everything than that anyway ? or r u keepin it N/A ?

I am likely turboing it in 4-5 years with the new engine, that is some years away and i have to make do with what i've got atm.

BTW jorrs, u comin to grafton 2morrow? If you are, PM or call me

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

i have work mate :< sucks, but just in case reckon could PM me where its at ?

Anyone know about the exhaust?

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

That torque figure is rubbish. Maybe torque at the rollers or something similar, but bank on 100Nm/litre and you will be within 10% at the flywheel for basically everything (scale capacity by the boost pressure if FI).

Having said that, the power figures sound reasonable, its just the torque that is kooky.

Hen

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

to be honest, run whatever you want after the headers, all the power gains would be from the headers. anything after is a restriction. go to a good shop and get the sound you want =)