Thread: need bigger brake set up for 1988 hilux 4 engineers.Running 1jzgte

KiwiCruzn Grease Monkey supra7m8u@yahoo.com.au's Avatar

Default need bigger brake set up for 1988 hilux 4 engineers.Running 1jzgte

Help,

I need to do a brake conversion on my new hilux (1988 2wd ) powered by a 1jzgte. I have been told by my engineer that i need to upgrade my brakes. Can anyone help me out or point me in the direction of how this can be done. I have been told ba front brakes with vented disks. What do i do with the rear though. If anyone has also got this set up for sale i would be interested in purchasing . Also looking for a lsd diff.

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

Default Re: need bigger brake set up for 1988 hilux 4 engineers.Running 1jzgte

There is a few threads kicking about on here on how to mate supra disks to hilux rear ends. I've never done it, so I got NFI, but there is threads on it. Probably other options out there two, as people have put hilux diffs in almost everything.
    As for LSD, you should be able to source an LSD in varying ratios from a 4x4 wrecker. My LN106 lux has a 4.3 LSD, and the later model KZ 130ish series I think have 4.11 or maybe 3.9. Plenty of after market options too such as true trac.
    IRS G series can be made to fit too (such as MA71 3.7LSD), and there is threads on that too.

THANKS
    ill search for it

Junior Member Grease Monkey BEVANI's Avatar

did the engineer say that you had to upgrade the rear brakes? or is this something your wanting to do?
    If in doubt, drift her out! Steer from the rear! less traction,more action! simple!
    ░░▒▒▒▓████
    BURN RUBBER
    ░░▒▒▒▓████ JZA61 FTW!

somthing i want to do, no he said i can get away with the standard drums
    thanks

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Did your engineer say that if you alter the rear brakes you will be up for some expensive brake testing as the non-standard system must be shown to continue to comply.