Thread: Got myself a 2JZGE X83, and a few questions...

CROSSPLANE CRANK! Domestic Engineer Merudo's Avatar

Default Got myself a 2JZGE X83, and a few questions...

Hi everyone

No doubt I'll get told to search but I did try, but havent come up with much handy info. I have asked several questions in the cressida dedicated thread but everyone's too busy talking about wheels and turbos to answer my simple questions

I've had this 2JZ powered X83 grande for a little while now and I am going to be doing an oil and filter change on the cressida over the weekend, and I just wanted to check with those who know a few things -

-what model oil filter is required for an N/A 2JZGE?

-how much oil does she take? Some googling has showed that it's around 5.2 litres when you change out the filter but just wanted to make sure I got at least enough oil.

The car's suspension is also exceptionally sad at the moment, and I wanted to replace out the shocks (it's spings should be fine, sitting on king springs at the moment) and the bushes. All OEM replacement bushes are fine, I've sent off the details to Toyota and I'm waiting to hear back - will it be an arm and a leg for new bushes? Reading on toyotacressida.net i've found a lot of people complaining about how hard it is to get replacement bushes. I want to get all new ones as the car feels sloppy and is not handling very good at all.

I'm thinking that I might get the KYB shock combination mentioned in the Cressida thread (Rav4 front, supra rear?) if that is a decent combination. I will be towing a motorbike trailer with 1-2 bikes on it, but that's about it.

Thanks in advance guys! This is my first X83 but not my first 'yota as some of you will know, but if there are any other sneaky things that I can keep a look out for please by all means let me know. So far she's been a tough as nails, bulletproof car (except for the one 16" soarer rim that we picked up a bolt in and it punched directly through the rim... im still looking for another one ).

I guess I just wanted to ask a few specific questions outside of the cressy thread.

Cheers
    James
    Last edited by Merudo; 24-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

Default Re: Got myself a 2JZGE X83, and a few questions...

would it be cheaper to just get superpro bushes??

use massive amounts of lube when installing them

see I figured that toyota genuine parts rubber bushes would be better (it's a daily driver and occasional trackbike tow car, not a sports car ) for comfort and price wise, but hey if there's aftermarket bushes that are still okay as well then I'm all for that.

Just from what I've found they are a massive PITA to find. I've been looking and can't find anyone that makes a kit. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be like say an AW11 or AE82 where you can just go and get a kit off a shelf or buy a set from ebay.

Not that I can see, any way...

now with 7m powaz Automotive Encyclopaedia hosking1991's Avatar

oil filter z418 off the top of my head pretty sure

Fantastic, thankyou. that's the info I need the most right now as I'm going to pick one up tomorrow morning.
    Thanks very much mate!

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

I've found that putting new steering rack ends and tie rod ends into the MX83's always makes a massive difference to the steering compared to the flogged out items in most cars.

Ex-Taswegian Backyard Mechanic Sturgey's Avatar

just get a 90915yzzd2 from toyota
    quite a few businesses near my work have been having trouble with rycos of late
    2003 Toyota Crown Athlete V Premium

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgey View Post
    just get a 90915yzzd2 from toyota
    quite a few businesses near my work have been having trouble with rycos of late
    just ask for a "D2" filter. if that is what req'd for 2j then the z418 listed above will be the correct one too. it has been said that a z9 will also fit for more filter area (on the 7m anyway)

and yes the bushes are a bitch to find, and exxy too if you go genuine.

as for shocks i have found the KYB twin tube jobies to be quite good and reasonably priced.
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8