Thread: Early corona 5 stud conversion and big brake's

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Early corona 5 stud conversion and big brake's

Following on and seperating from the 5 stud thread. A bit of a summary about my efforts so far and a few questions.

Goal : 5 stud front (5x114.3), Big Bearings, Big Brakes.

Now from ed's site apparently the rt81 has the same bearing as the ms65 etc and therefore it makes sense that, if i swap to rt81 hubs i can use the big bearing (the early corona stuff has a much smaller bearing) and hence the 5 stub hub as discussed elsewhere. BUT

I was at the wreckers and measured 2 or 3 rt81's a rt80 and rt84 and they ALL had the small bearing, the only big bearing corona i found was an rt102 (where the stubs and arms are completly different)

Now what i'd like to know is If the AUS spec corona's got the big bearing on the rt8x hub.

Can anyone possible shed some light, measure or confirm part numbers. Do these stub axles still use the small ball joints? Did NZ just luck out and get the small bearing hubs for all the corona;s? I jsut dont know, but would very much like to.

Well thats it for now
    Cheers
    Logan

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: Early corona 5 stud conversion and big brake's

There is an RT81 drum brake jobbie at the local wreckers at the moment. If I am there on the weekend I could measure them up for you if you wish. Could even pull the lot off and ship it to you if they have the MS65 bearings.

Seeing as the brakes appear to be identical to a TA22, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got the TA22 (ie smaller) bearings.

Not sure about the ball joints - didn't know there was a difference between the RT40 and RT81.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    There is an RT81 drum brake jobbie at the local wreckers at the moment. If I am there on the weekend I could measure them up for you if you wish. Could even pull the lot off and ship it to you if they have the MS65 bearings.

Seeing as the brakes appear to be identical to a TA22, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got the TA22 (ie smaller) bearings.

Not sure about the ball joints - didn't know there was a difference between the RT40 and RT81.

If you could measure the stub it would be much appreciated!!!!

I am pretty sure all the rt40-rt8x stubs use the same (aka ta22 bearing) small bearing. However Im just following this path of enquiry due to the Repco catalogue dump showing the rt81 to use the same bearing as ma61/ms65/rt104 etc etc (ref eds site)

Cheers
    Logan

Forum Member

Help me !!!!!!!!!!! I am dying cause i dont think there are any rt81 stub axles left in the world! If i am wrong please save me from certain death and show me where.