Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaptronic, what connections to fuel pump and circuit opening relays?

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Default Adaptronic, what connections to fuel pump and circuit opening relays?

I'm currently working out all the connections required to make a patch harness to go from an Adaptronic to the stock AE101 4AGZE loom.
    I have everything pretty much worked out, except for the fuel pump relay and the circuit opening relay.

How are these usually connected and how do they operate in a stock system? I want to get them as close to stock operation as possible.
    The fuel pump relay seems to switch a resistor in and out of the circuit. Is this for two speeds? (prime and full pressure?) and the circuit opening relay, does that just turn on whenever the car is cranking and/or running?

Any help would be great.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Default Re: Adaptronic, what connections to fuel pump and circuit opening relays?

i thought the circuit opening relay switched on when you turned the keys to ignition?
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default Re: Adaptronic, what connections to fuel pump and circuit opening relays?

For the COR, this thread is relevant:
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=18471

The stock ECU (or AFM) grounds a pin the COR to turn the relay and hence the fuel pump on. The Adaptronic can have an output configured as "Fuel Pump" use an output configured as that

As for the Fuel Pump Resistor, I believe that the ECU to GNDs a pin on the relay to place the resistor in series to the fuel pump to reduce the voltage to the pump to slow it / make it more quiet.

I don't have a full description of the 'control" but the autoshop101 documents says it is based on engine load & rpm.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf

You could work out switching points by running the fuel pump (Engine off) with & without the resistor in series & applying pressure to the fuel pressure regulator (to simulate the boost that will be run) and then measuring the return fuel flow to the tank.

You could then working out given your injector size / flow required points to switch the resistor on/off.

That said 99% of people ditch the Fuel Pump resistor and never look back.

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Awesome. I hoped that was the case with the COR. I'll do as you suggest regarding the output.

I'll probably monitor the resistor relay to see when it is on and off with the stock ecu, but if I just set the Adaptronic to switch the resistor into the circuit on idle, decel and maybe cruise it should work fine.

Oh, is the cold start injector controlled by the stock ECU? I don't think it'll be necessary here in sunny Queensland, but I can't find it on the ECU pinout.

Now if only the e420c had a couple more outputs... I could replicate the cat converter temp warning too. Maybe a voltage switch could do the job if I can be bothered.
    Last edited by TERRA Operative; 13-09-2010 at 11:40 PM.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
    Oh, is the cold start injector controlled by the stock ECU? I don't think it'll be necessary here in sunny Queensland, but I can't find it on the ECU pinout.
    its controlled by a thermostat and nothing else from memory, and it is totally necessary even here in sunny Melbourne, as is the circuit opening relay.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

I'll probably leave the cold start injector in, until I decide to find a smallport manifold to hook up the planned W2A intercooler, then it just won't get reinstalled.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadsailing View Post
    its controlled by a thermostat and nothing else from memory, and it is totally necessary even here in sunny Melbourne, as is the circuit opening relay.
    The cold start injector is wired to the brown temp sensor on the back of the head. Not sure if either returns to the ecu though.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Conversion King Drifty Midship's Avatar

Cold start enrichment is controlled by the adaptronic by adding a trim to the opening time of the regular injectors based on the coolant temp... making the single csi redundant.
    AW11 - 1988 Red ADM 4AGZE conversion +
    MZW11 - 1987 Track car - "Ag-Spec Racing 1" - 1MZ powered AW11
    ST246 - 2002 Caldina GT-Four 'N-Edition'
    MS65 - 1973 Bash Car bash.skyracing.tv/

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

you're going to have a challenge tuning the fuel maps of the adaptronic if you retain the fuel pump resistor functionality. The injector deadtime changes with fuel pressure and if you dont have a dedicated fuel trim table allocated to be active when the pump is at low speed you map will be very messy, the transition points will also be almost impossible to get acting like a stock ecu with the adap.

The adaptronic has a single deadtime setting, you can't set it up in a table or span it v's fuel pressure or voltage.

Just run the pump at full speed.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

will the fuel pressure change when the pump slows? surely it would slow when the actual rail pressure requiresments are low in terms of pressure and volume, and will not affect it much?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

I'd say JP has had experience in trying to use the fuel pump resistor with an Adaptronic.... so i'd listen to what he says.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
    don't bother with it - disconnect plug at injector and ignore. Location is good for IAT when you delete the factory ECU.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

If the resistor is only switched in under low load, idle etc, wouldn't the pressure stay the same as as full pump speed as the majority of the fuel is flowing back to the tank through the regulator anyway?
    Can the Adaptronic switch an output when the ECU switches to decel or idle maps?

I don't mind if the resister is used or not at the end of the day, but it would be nice to keep the pump quiet at idle etc. It's only one wire to connect it up, so I guess I could just try it and if it doesn't work, then I end up with one spare output to use for something else.

Also, with the stock igniter, it uses that damn addressing system so the norm is to just replace it with aftermarket igniters.
    What if you hooked it up with a few diodes, like the below picture:

That way, when output one is activated, the pulse is sent to just the IGt pin and the ignitor pulses coil one.
    When output two is activated, the pulse is sent to both the IGt and IGd pins, so the ignitor will pulse coil two.

Will this work? Or am I missing something simple (as is usually the case.....)
    If this works, it'll allow me to retain the stock tacho signal to the cluster and not have to stuff with the ignition system.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Just use separate ignitor (microtech X4 is a good one to use!!)
    Then you can either use a couple of diodes and shit to make a "combined" tacho signal.... or set another output from the Adaptronic as the tacho signal.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

I've got one of those Mitsubishi 2 channel tacho modules here. I'm just trying to keep the wiring as stock as possible. I'm a bit pedantic with the wiring as it's hard to find spare looms and I've only got two spare dash looms and one spare MAP 4AGZE engine loom.

The Microtech igniter could be an idea, I should still be able to get them cheap, and the X4 worked quite well on my mates Mazda 323. Do they do a 2 channel one so I can retain the stock coils?