Thread: Did the 3sge recieve a new distributor signal setup after the Dec 91' faclift?

Dude with a spanner Grease Monkey bajachris88's Avatar

Default Did the 3sge recieve a new distributor signal setup after the Dec 91' faclift?

Just a yay or nay

During the production of the gen 2 3sge, when they had the facelift in December 1991, did they change the signal input or methodology of the Ne, G-, G1 and G2 pins?

Are the the distributor signals prone to critical failure if not shielded appropriately?

Do different grounding points on the chassis rather than on the stock earth positions on the engine potentially cause an issue?

I haven't had much time to play with the car because of university work but had a couple hrs tinker with it today, hence the longevity of the project.

But what Charles and Jonathan have suggested still looks to be the go. Swapping computers with another early 90's st182 ecu didn't solve the trick, although now i should certainly have a G- pin for once , although there is no pin print out on the circuit board. The trip out with the original ecu with the D8 pin on the sw20 ecu was painfully annoying and still 'inconclusive' as to what the heck it is.
    st185 GT4 309 hp 12.4s 1/4 mile 16psi

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Did the 3sge recieve a new distributor signal setup after the Dec 91' faclift?

didn't change anything according to the pre/post mr2 BGB's i have.

is the ecu throwing any CEL's? does it start and run at all?

Default Re: Did the 3sge recieve a new distributor signal setup after the Dec 91' faclift?

No it doesn't have any CEL. I put it in diagnostics mode, and on both ecu's, the engine light strobed in the manner stating that nothing was wrong at all after i got the oxygen sensor fitted.

I can get it to fire up momentarily if i spray fuel inside the throttle body manually.

Thanks for checking that bgb though Jonathan, i will take the distributor and check it out. I have an oscilloscope now, anyone have any links as to what the wave forms from the signals should look like? It should be the same as the 3sgte shouldn't it? (Cause if i remember right, and please correct me if wrong, they ahve the same distributor).

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

should be the same tho the 185 is a shorter unit (edit: compared to the 162/5). My reading of various wiring diagrams suggests only the 5SFE engines had a 3-wire dizzi (presumably Ne, G1 and G- only).

rotate the dizzi with a drill (fit 6mm bit, cover bit with 6mm ID rubber hose, run drill and push hose against the shaft), wire up appropriately, should get an AC (with zero-crossing) signal from each sensor.

caution: start at big voltage ranges on the CRO as these can output a significant signal.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 09-09-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

New news:

my 92/93 engine has early style pinout (from the celica club UK) so it must be an early engine... wow! So the ecu's matched all along.

Dissy signal will be inspected tomorrow.
    Dissy rotor is cracked just before the rotor contact all the way across... and its split a little. will get a pic. I can get the engine to slightly fire up very shortly though when i spray fuel manually... but this couldn't be hte prob in general could it?

Dissy signal rotors have slight corrosion. Shouldn't be an issue i guess? cause its all 'magnetic' based then conduction stylin?

Chris.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

minor corrosion not an issue - the crack in the rotor might be?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge